Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
It might come down to how poorly the CVT trans drives in the hybrid. How is it in the Escape hybrid?
especially since the Mav will have an “all new” built in-house transmission made by Ford. Wish it would have the Toyota trans…..what a difference in reliability factor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
especially since the Mav will have an “all new” built in-house transmission made by Ford. Wish it would have the Toyota trans…..what a difference in reliability factor.
I believe Toyota and Ford partnered in the last CVT, Fords Ecvt was done in house and ford is building them and the electric motors that will be in the hybrid. The Mustang Mach e seems to be going pretty well, so should the hybrid Maverick. My wife has a Cmax hybrid and gets an average 41 mpg and the car has been trouble free, no recalls or problems. Go out and drive a hybrid.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ford has been building their own eCVTs for 9 years and, if anything, Toyota has transitioned towards using the Ford/Aisin design.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ford has been building their own eCVTs for 9 years and, if anything, Toyota has transitioned towards using the Ford/Aisin design.

I STILL trust Toyota tech more. I have to question if Toyota is employing any Ford ecvt because it is a new to Ford and built in-house. I dont think Toyota would need to turn to Ford for any guidance in building vehicles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Update. While I wait for the Maverick, I've decided to get out of my 18' Sonata and pickup a used Audi AllRoad that a friend is selling to tackle New Hampshire winters better. Will hopefully give me another year or two to hold me off until the Maverick is released and the first year release issues are worked through; and if they seem to have better than average reliability in the first MY maybe I'll pickup a used one.
regarding NH snowy winters and AWD/4X4, not sure if you’re moving there from a warmer climes or you’re a longtime NH resident? If the Allroad has sport/summer or even all season tires on it, don’t assume the traction will be all that good. Snow tires installed on AWDs will have a 90% better grip. My first Audi 04 A6 4.2 (V8) has high performance summer tires) and I decided to test the AWD up on a snowy hilltop in eastern PA….got to the top OK and then came upon a gentle curve…slight turn of the steering wh the car started drifting towards a snowbank, gentle braking did nothing. Attempting to rid myself stuck in the bank I blew two front transaxles….long story AWD can be a benefit but I found 4 good brand snow tires on any type vehicle are a godsend in the winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe I'll get snow tires after 48 years of driving in NE Ontario Canada, with about 22 different vehicles including at least 10 4X4 jeeps and pick-ups. I only got stuck less than 1/2 a dozen times in those 48 years...we'll see if I'm up to it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
regarding NH snowy winters and AWD/4X4, not sure if you’re moving there from a warmer climes or you’re a longtime NH resident? If the Allroad has sport/summer or even all season tires on it, don’t assume the traction will be all that good. Snow tires installed on AWDs will have a 90% better grip. My first Audi 04 A6 4.2 (V8) has high performance summer tires) and I decided to test the AWD up on a snowy hilltop in eastern PA….got to the top OK and then came upon a gentle curve…slight turn of the steering wh the car started drifting towards a snowbank, gentle braking did nothing. Attempting to rid myself stuck in the bank I blew two front transaxles….long story AWD can be a benefit but I found 4 good brand snow tires on any type vehicle are a godsend in the winter.
I appreciate this perspective. The All-Road came with two sets of rims and tires. We aren't messing around here. Continental DWS "Extreme All-Seasons" on the OEM alloys; and a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on steelies.

Maybe I'll get snow tires after 48 years of driving in NE Ontario Canada, with about 22 different vehicles including at least 10 4X4 jeeps and pick-ups. I only got stuck less than 1/2 a dozen times in those 48 years...we'll see if I'm up to it
Trucks and Jeeps usually come with All Terrain tires which are pretty good at dealing with winter conditions. So I'm not really surprised that you've had good luck. This is not the case for Range Rovers, many are allocated to dealers in Florida and other hot climates, and than shipped north and come equipped with Summer Tires. Last year, one of my friends dad's was mystified as to why his luxury "Off Roader" sucked in snow and when we looked up the tires we quickly learned his hockey puck tires were the problem; the driving dynamic completely changed when we swapped out the rubber with proper AT tires.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ideally make sure that the AT tires have the mountain snowflake symbol indicating it meets the Severe Snow standards. They have the extra siping for greater biting edges on icy/snowy surfaces. Some of the ATs or MTs designed more for rock crawling or mud have more solid rubber blocking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey there.

I was the 2nd owner of a Subaru Baja in college and definitely took for granted the size, utility and rarity of this type of vehicle. After college, I took a job that required a lot of driving and living in an apartment complex with limited parking. So I did the natural thing and replaced it (@140k miles) with a more fuel friendly but similarly quarky Hyundai Veloster. I remember thinking the dealer lost their minds when they offered me $8k as a trade. Fast forward 10 years; now married with two small children, living in rural New Hampshire, the Veloster is gone in favor of a Hyundai Sonata 2.0T with a huge backseat to swallow equally huge kid seats.

I mention NH, because we don’t have trash pickup here and I cart everything to the transfer station myself; it sure would be nice to have that Baja back.

Maybe just maybe the maverick will have the right mix of utility, interior space, and car like efficiency to make real case for my next vehicle purchase.

While you may think I’d just wait for Hyundai to release the Santa Cruz. I’ve been less than impressed with the design direction they seem to be taking and seeing early concepts that look heavily based on the Tucson. I much prefer the pre-production designs on the Maverick that we’ve all been seeing the last few days. Needless to say Ford may convert me.
my advice is to follow your heart on this one. The vehicle is cheap enough to not have regrets. If you buy it and hate it you will likely be able to sell it for little loss in the first year. Buying it isn’t the end of the world if it turns out you don’t like it. Post it to Facebook Marketplace and it will be gone in a couple days to a week.Pre order it, lock in your price with a good dealer (no add ons) and drive it when it comes in.
Cheers to your new truck 🛻

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree. I've heard that Consumer Reports say that the Hybrid is definitely better than the 1.5L 3 cylinder, in the escape. I believe they've even gone on Record on their "Talking Cars" podcast to say that the base powertrain should've been the hybrid instead of the 3pot.
3 cylinder EcoBoost engines are phenomenal, but you have to connect them to a manual transmission for them to be good. I have a last-year Focus with a 1.0 EB and a 6 speed, and I have never lacked for "adequate" power and decent response. Back when I first purchased, I noticed some paint peeling in my deck lid, and had to take it to the dealer for a repaint, a horrible week in which i was driving an EcoSport with that same 1.0L EcoBoost behind an automatic transmission that took years to decide the correct gear for the situation plus the turbo lag from the snail spinning up... that was a horrible week of driving and to this day I question why anyone would buy an EcoSport. Despite the similarities between the EcoSport and my Focus, one was a miserable, cheap interior penalty box, and the other an honest economy car. Night and day and mostly up to the transmission.

I questioned whether Ford could do anything to win my next car purchase until the Mav came along.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts