Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone wondered why we are at this step of the process with orders flocking in and building scheduling started and yet NOONE including the press and youtube channel have been able to get behind the wheel?

I find it a little worrying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would assume it is something with EPA testing or embargos. I was over on the Santa Cruz forum and you can go buy one in certain regions but no big Youtube channels have review videos because of an embargo. An instagram of Ford reviewer has pictures up of them driving them offroad but said they cant talk about driving them yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's concerning, but they haven't sold me anything. I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't signed anything, or parted with one dime, and will not until I'm satisfied this truck is worth my money.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pretty sure an embargo is set until they have the mass production model to send out to all reviewers or maybe some other valid reason. I'm not concerned at all. This doesn't seem like the mysterious Escape PHEV that people have been waiting on forever. We've seen it out on the roads.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's because they haven't gone into production yet and there aren't any to test drive. The media fleets don't have them yet.
There are plenty of preproduction units available for media test drives. The problem is Ford has built a house of cards with preorders and one lemon in the hands of the media will crash the whole house down.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I’m not concerned. Test drives other than my own don’t mean much to me, I read them but I have a mind of my own and my needs, desires and ideas are my own. Reviews are entertainment.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Has anyone wondered why we are at this step of the process with orders flocking in and building scheduling started and yet NOONE including the press and youtube channel have been able to get behind the wheel?

I find it a little worrying.
I'm not worried at all. Once the trucks are fully fitted out (not pre-production models) and have passed all of the various quality and safety inspections, then there'll be trucks available for test drives. I doubt we'll learn much from them, but the reviews will be out there.

I predict that it's going to drive much like a car but with a truck feel, and there will be one liter water bottle slots in the doors, plus a fancy storage compartment under the back seat (that we can't get to if we have a carseat installed). The truck will go from zero to 60 in 8.6 seconds, and somebody will be 'surprised' at how peppy it feels for a hybrid. The test trucks will get either 36 mpg or 42 mpg, depending on which 'expert' is driving it, and where it's being driven.

In other words, it'll be just as described on the zillion or so pre-production videos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drove a bronco sport and it was pretty rough. I am hoping the maverick is better. If production doesn’t ramp up soon then I’ll be headed to something else.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I drove a bronco sport and it was pretty rough. I am hoping the maverick is better. If production doesn’t ramp up soon then I’ll be headed to something else.
I've been upset by the current small trucks. Size and price, I'm willing to wait for the Maverick so I can unload my boat anchor gas hog chevy

Reactions: Newbernwolf

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are plenty of preproduction units available for media test drives. The problem is Ford has built a house of cards with preorders and one lemon in the hands of the media will crash the whole house down.
That's kinda the point. By in-large the "media" isn't given "pre-production" models to test drive and review because there would be a lot more for us to pick apart. This is especially true with a new launch like this, they want the vehicles we test to be as good as they can be. Our press fleet manager has told me to look for one in September sometime which means the first batch of Job 1 will most likely include vehicles for press fleets. The main media launch where journalists are invited to test it somewhere - when you will see the explosion of reviews - should be very soon after production starts in mid-August.

·
Registered
219 Posts
There are some early, non-sanctioned reviews trickling out. Well, at least one. It was on a 2.0L AWD Lariat test unit and the reviewer was very impressed. Very, very impressed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm cancelling my order I read about all the problems with 2.0L Ecoboost motor. The integrated exhaust manifold cracks and it is part of the head. Sounds like a very expressive replacement part.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's why you have a warranty just in case your one of the unlucky ones, of course you could buy a Santa Cruz and deal with it's 2.5L engine troubles...pick your poison 😉

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's why you have a warranty just in case your one of the unlucky ones, of course you could buy a Santa Cruz and deal with it's 2.5L engine troubles...pick your poison 😉
We could also hope that Ford changed the design to the European spec 2.0 Ecoboost which has a separate head/manifold. Since we've not seen a production unit or part numbers, all we can do is speculate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts