Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022xlt alto blue awd
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's official everybody on today's Ford authority report the Ford Maverick is reported to have very very thin paint not even thicker than a Post-It note and also the clear coat is very very thin this was discovered by a professional painter and detailer and he said luckily that he measured it before he got out the polisher and polished the car we have he would have big problems he also says in the report that what everybody should do is get the Maverick tell the dealer not to do anything to it to polish it bring it home wash it and to ceramic seal it so isn't this wonderful news I was wondering why I was starting to get a lot of chips

·
Registered
95 Posts
Automotive paint is actually pretty expensive so Ford is saving a ton of money here. Remember, this is a 20k truck. Even the 38k Lariat has a 20k paint job. Ford has saved a ton of money in areas like noise insulation, material quality, features like keyless entry and ignition that most cars have standard now and definitely on the paint job. Do yourself a favor and get some paint protection film installed, that front lip people are putting on their hood looks terrible and obviously isn't doing anything for the bumper, fenders and hood. For $560.00 I purchased a precut 8mil PPF kit that covers the bumper, a third of the hood and fenders, the A pillars, about a foot of the roof and all the painted rocker areas. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well it's official everybody on today's Ford authority report the Ford Maverick is reported to have very very thin paint not even thicker than a Post-It note and also the clear coat is very very thin this was discovered by a professional painter and detailer and he said luckily that he measured it before he got out the polisher and polished the car we have he would have big problems he also says in the report that what everybody should do is get the Maverick tell the dealer not to do anything to it to polish it bring it home wash it and to ceramic seal it so isn't this wonderful news I was wondering why I was starting to get a lot of chips
So that's why the dealership s are pushing the spray protectant for the outside. At 1100$ with an 8 yr warranty.

·
Registered
Ordered a white XLT 2.0 FWD with mats and hitch receiver, that's it!
116 Posts
Well it's official everybody on today's Ford authority report the Ford Maverick is reported to have very very thin paint not even thicker than a Post-It note and also the clear coat is very very thin
Sooo ... how does this get addressed? Do we wait until it is badly chipped and then say "new paint job" and make Ford spend LOTS of warranty money, or is there a way to collectively get them to spend money now (like before mine gets built :cool:) instead of later?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sooo ... how does this get addressed? Do we wait until it is badly chipped and then say "new paint job" and make Ford spend LOTS of warranty money, or is there a way to collectively get them to spend money now (like before mine gets built :cool:) instead of later?
Ford is not going to do a thing about chipped paint. Anyone who has ever tried to get warranty work done for paint knows it's a very tough process to get through. I had a dimple show up in my paint job on another vehicle, the metal underneath was rusting and there was absolutely no damage to the paint itself from a rock or debris. I had to fight to get it repaired under the paint warranty. Despite what was posted, Ford will make no official claim that the paint is thin on the Maverick so you better invest in some good paint protection film if you want the truck to look decent after a few years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Years ago we got Honda to re-paint the hood of a 2006 Civic (maybe around 2012 or so) because the paint on the hood was thin (don't remember the number) and the base coat was giving way creating a sparkly starred appearance under the clear coat. It was only off by .1, maybe .2 mils as I recall but they took care of it. No questions asked.

Before we all jump to conclusions, maybe it would be best to have this information from one person on one online chat forum corroborated by others with actual measurements. I am NOT saying he was incorrect. What I AM saying is that one vehicle out of thousands does not make a trend. A few more independent tests/readings of paint thickness are in order. I am waiting on my own paint thickness gauge and calibration panels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Found this at "fender splendor.com":
"In the United States, car paint thickness is generally expressed in millimeters. However, other parts of the world use microns as a unit of measurement instead. A conversion may be necessary in order to judge the information properly. The conversion rate is simple: 24.4 microns equals one millimeter. Thusly, the average new car’s factory paint job will be between 97.6 and 122 microns"

So I take it the Maverick paint should be at least 4 millimeters thick.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Years ago my brother worked at a body shop and painted cars. A problem also that caused paint to easily chip was too much hardener in the paint which caused the paint to dry too hard and very vulnerable to chipping, etc. No "flexibility." That happening was usually a mixing mistake, but sometimes smaller body shops did it in order to get cars done and out of there to make room for getting more jobs done.

·
Registered
2022xlt alto blue awd
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Years ago my brother worked at a body shop and painted cars. A problem also that caused paint to easily chip was too much hardener in the paint which caused the paint to dry too hard and very vulnerable to chipping, etc. No "flexibility." That happening was usually a mixing mistake, but sometimes smaller body shops did it in order to get cars done and out of there to make room for getting more jobs done.
So I'm wondering if the Maverick paint falls within the within the guidelines

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found this at "fender splendor.com":
"In the United States, car paint thickness is generally expressed in millimeters. However, other parts of the world use microns as a unit of measurement instead. A conversion may be necessary in order to judge the information properly. The conversion rate is simple: 24.4 microns equals one millimeter. Thusly, the average new car’s factory paint job will be between 97.6 and 122 microns"

So I take it the Maverick paint should be at least 4 millimeters thick.
Where did that idiot get that conversion factor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ford could address it, but it would likely cost you several hundred dollars extra. One reason I ordered black was because it's simple to match if it gets scratched.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never checked when I posted this, but it certainly ain't right, is it!
Normal paint thickness is 4-7 mils total. One mil = 25.4 microns. Millimeters are not used in these measurements since they are a much too large a unit to describe automotive paint thickness. My paint gauge measures in mils and microns, and I measure 4-6 mils on my Mav, with an occasional sub-4 mil value near the top of the tailgate.

I just added more PPF over the weekend to the leading edges of the front fenders since I've noticed those seem to attract road debris. Lower front of hood, bumper and leading edge of roof already done.

·
Registered
2022xlt alto blue awd
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure what we could do but if this keeps on being a really big problem then it would have to be something like a class action lawsuit because there's over a hundred thousand Mavericks ordered for the 2022 year

1 - 16 of 16 Posts