Ford Maverick Forum banner

Which engine are you ordering for the Maverick?

• 2.5L Hybrid engine

Votes: 85 57.0%
  • 2.0L EcoBoost engine

Votes: 64 43.0%
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Escape, 2017 Ram 1500
77 Posts
I'm leaning towards the 2.0L boosted engine mainly because of its performance. I considered the Hybrid, and will have to look for a couple more videos on the Escape, as the one posted sounded quite loud, which was somewhat understood, considering he was running it hard.
I also am considering AWD, and this would make it a mandated choice, too. A set of snows to get me by for a winter or two until we move south would still be cheaper.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm leaning towards the 2.0L boosted engine mainly because of its performance. I considered the Hybrid, and will have to look for a couple more videos on the Escape, as the one posted sounded quite loud, which was somewhat understood, considering he was running it hard.
I also am considering AWD, and this would make it a mandated choice, too. A set of snows to get me by for a winter or two until we move south would still be cheaper.
a set of 4 good true snow tires on any 2 wheel drive (either front or rear drive) will be more than adequate for majority of snowy regions. If your driveway is especially long and/or hilly you might need the AWD but if not I would go front drive with 4 snows especially since you said you’re moving south in the near future.

·
Registered
77 Posts
a set of 4 good true snow tires on any 2 wheel drive (either front or rear drive) will be more than adequate for majority of snowy regions. If your driveway is especially long and/or hilly you might need the AWD but if not I would go front drive with 4 snows especially since you said you’re moving south in the near future.
To be honest, I've had snows on a few cars I've owned. They've worked well; but I have gone threw some of our worst winters on all-season performance tires, too. I'm just trying to determine if the fun factor and peace of mind AWD provides me in the snow overcomes the price difference to get it. AWD for me is just more fun in the snow, the holeshots I can pull from a traffic light on a snowy morning induce smiles all the way to work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To be honest, I've had snows on a few cars I've owned. They've worked well; but I have gone threw some of our worst winters on all-season performance tires, too. I'm just trying to determine if the fun factor and peace of mind AWD provides me in the snow overcomes the price difference to get it. AWD for me is just more fun in the snow, the holeshots I can pull from a traffic light on a snowy morning induce smiles all the way to work.
I get it, fun in the snow with a confident ride is priceless. Don’t know what kind of worst winters you’ve endured and what brand and model snow tires you’ve had in the past. I lived in Philly suburbs and went thru a few 30”+ blizzards and many 12”+ storms. I had 4 Gislaved and also Vredestein brand Nordfrost model snows (both Scandinavian brands where the reindeer-caribou live) and drove an old front drive Volvo 850 and rear drive 240’s and was able to rescue quite a few stranded people stuck out on country roads when they slid off deep snow & ice conditions. Pulled them out with my tow strap…even a few pickups. But technically AWD or 4x4 with good snows is still better than any 2 wheel drive with snows.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I grew up south of Buffalo, NY. Snow falls measured in feet was nothing unusual much of my life. Ran snows for only a few of my years driving, and one of the worst winters I actually breezed through it riding on Cooper Cobras on a '90 Pontiac Sunbird. One of that year's storms dumped over three feet on us during the day, another foot that night, and two more the next day while at work.
I think most people here have just resolved themselves to buying AWD vehicles versus using dedicated snow tires.

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
210 Posts
WOW almost 2/3's are going with the Hybrid!!! That is indeed cool>:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been wanting to drive on the beach more and go camping in more rough terrain areas so opted with the AWD Lariat 4K/F4 package. standard package.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree! My 2017 Niro has 20, 200 mi and I have had 6 oil chgs. ….use Mobile 1 full syn as I have used in my vehicles dating back the the 1980’s. I sold my 1993 Honda Accord in 2008 with 118 k miles. The friend who purchased for his college student daughter said when the valve cover was removed ..it looked like a new car…he said the oil was amber…clean as can be and as a auto mechanic he hadn’t seen that before on a 15 yr old car. All the time I owned it, I used only Mobile 1 and I faithfully can age the oil every 2500 to 3000 miles. I am a big fan of the Mobile 1 oil coupled with frequent oil changes …it really is a form of “insurance”.
That seems excessive and wasteful with synthetic oil

You can have a Blackstone labs oil analysis done and I'm pretty sure it'll tell you you can go a lot longer than 3000 miles per oil change, especially when the manufacturer recommends 7,500 miles on that Niro

·
Registered
77 Posts
That seems excessive and wasteful with synthetic oil

You can have a Blackstone labs oil analysis done and I'm pretty sure it'll tell you you can go a lot longer than 3000 miles per oil change, especially when the manufacturer recommends 7,500 miles on that Niro
That could be more frequent than needed, but depending on the duration of time between oil changes and the conditions you operate the vehicle in, it might not be.

I've seen plenty of evidence over the years were just meeting the maintenance suggested by the manufacturer under "idea" conditions isn't enough, and owners suffered repeated issues as a result of improper maintenance.
I've also seen where what would be consider above and beyond levels of care had gotten a customer a quick and full coverage of an engine in a vehicle w/over 60k miles. Of course, maintaining records to prove the degree you go to is also of importance.
Likewise, I've seen many instances where people had little to no valid proof of proper maintenance and had to foot the bills for repairs.

So, as it has often been said, the cost of an oil change is cheap compared to the cost of an engine; and if you're dealing with some of the foreign brands, the costs of their engines are double, or more, than the typical cost of an engine from Ford, GM, or Mopar.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Both my Volvo and my Saab are fuel injected and quiet - the video sounds fairly loud - anyone agree?
Are the direct injected? This is a fairly new technology. I’ve had 2 Audis and a Tacoma with direct (not port) fuel injection. They were all loud.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think most people here have just resolved themselves to buying AWD vehicles versus using dedicated snow tires.

I mean for me, i live in east texas, really we probably only have a few icy days per year. However this February we had a historic cold snap. Temperatures were down to zero and below (unheard of here). The roads got iced and snowed, for actually a few days people were mostly stuck in their houses, the roads were horrendous (and to add of course, here nobody knows how to deal with them). I had to rely on my Dad and his 4X4 Tacoma to supply run me a couple times. Worse some folks lost water and power too, luckily I only lost water. Point is it made a really big impression on me, made me feel pretty helpless, while my Dad's 4X4 could get around. My rear wheel drive pickup would not even budge out of my short, ice covered driveway on a incline in the slightest, for days. Also initially, I got stuck trying to get up a hill, after some effort getting the truck to a side drive, Dad came and got me in the Tacoma. To see us rolling at 40+ MPH past tons of people spun out and enviously gawking left a really big impression on me. So, I've kinda of put 4 wheel or AWD on my list of heavy wants, if not needs.

Truth be told it's not needed for me, and I get that. Scotty Kilmer recommends against 4wd usually, although he's a bit of a clown, his reasoning is actually good here I think most people dont need it, and it adds initial expense and more complexity and possible repairs later. I know that a few slushy or icy days a year (and most years nothing near the epic cold snap of Feb 2021) that I can get by, dont justify the expense. But still, this may be the only new vehicle I ever buy, so I want to knock it out of the park.

I looked into the whole snow tires thing, it just seems like storing and rotating out snow tires for the 2-3 months of pseudo-winter we get here, would just be too much hassle and expense (although the expense is likely lower than AWD in the first place). I have feeling I would also just not bother before long, falling prey to laziness rather than installing them each winter. Also, I assume snow tires need some sort of sustained cold temperatures and bad weather in the first place to not wear out quickly, even for 3 months, and honestly I'm not sure we have that, being more intermittent repeated bouts of cold than anything continuous.

So in the end it just seems a whole lot easier to just run a 4WD or AWD and some sort of all season-ish tires to be ready for those icy spells, and I think that's why most people go that route.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Shark,
You're right on so much of your reasoning. Both are expenses, but having the AWD/4WD, while more expensive is one of those things you can never add later. If you camp or go off any paved roadway where you might encounter mud or wet grass even, it might also be a benefit.
I'm still deciding which direction I want to go. If we're moving south, I certainly won't really be needing it, but if we're here an additional year or two, it will be better to have for the winter mornings we're prone to have when you don't have the time to clear the snowbank at the end of the driveway and the roads aren't plowed. I've had snowbanks higher than the hood of the Escape I used to have, and had to traverse long drifts almost three feet deep. You have peace of mind when you have the extra capability provided with an extra axle which is also powered -- but keep in mind, on pure ice, tires still make a big difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which engine is everyone going with for their Maverick order? Is it going to be the more fuel efficient 2.4L hybrid engine or the more powerful 2.0L EcoBoost engine.

Add you selection in the poll below and let's see which one is more popular.
. I am getting a Hybrid.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts