Ford Maverick Forum banner

Which engine are you ordering for the Maverick?

• 2.5L Hybrid engine

Votes: 85 57.0%
  • 2.0L EcoBoost engine

Votes: 64 43.0%
81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
. I am getting a Hybrid.
I mean gas in NY is already $3,26 a gallon and is just going up. It does not look like the present government cares. So I will live with out 4x4. Fwd is very good in the snow. Unless you have 6inchs of snow, I am always in and out of 4wd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The hybrid setup is actually remarkably simple. The drivetrain even though it is CVT does not use a belt driven CVT system, but a planetary gear set. THey add another small motor on the ring gear and vary its speed to adjust the gear ratio. Given that it is hard geared it should be more reliable. Electric motors are far more reliable than gasoline engines. The engine is also an atkinson cycle with port injection. The port injection will reduce if not prevent egr buildup in the intake manifold. The atkinson cycle engine runs at a higher efficiency sacrificing power, making it less stressed for sure. I would imagine this motor would probably be bulletproof. Also, I am guessing that this technology is probably a Toyota design being licensed for use by ford. Toyota was the first to come up with that type of drivetrain, and it is well proven on the prius. So summing these two systems together (gas atkinson engine and emotor coupled through planetary gears) I would assume that this will actually be a reliable setup.

Also, the turbo engine will see WAY more stress than the Hybrid system, due to it being a forced induction motor producing higher power with lower displacement. Also, on the hybrid the electric motor will assist at taking off which I imagine is the engines moss stressful task.
Well said, I agree to everything you mentioned.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts