Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some of the forum members here where the first to do pre orders . So you should be seating behind the wheel of your new maverick very soon . Please post the actual miles per gallon that you’re getting with your new truck after a tank or two of gas . Thanks
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Step up Guys/Girls with the 2.0L EcoBoost 2WD. What MPG are you getting in real life?

Question: Eco vs Hybrid setup. I have a daily 75 mile highway commute. A Dealer was telling me the Hybrid 40 mpg "guess" would never hold up at 70mph highway situation. Was pushing the EcoBoost at 30 to 31mpg. Is this right? I thinking he's taking that position because all he has on the lot are EcoBoost.

This well be my first Hybrid. I have a 2001 Sport Trac 215K miles. will keep that forever. I do like trucks more than sedans. But... Hyundia Ioniq and Honda Insight posting up 50+mpg is like a Siren Call.

What do you think? Mav or Sedan?

Carl

·
Registered
157 Posts
Long post warning:

I've driven hybrids since 2008 (all Toyotas). Unless you're getting directly on the highway and not stopping ever at all until you get to your destination, and never just driving to the store or a restaurant - or whatever - then you're doing some mixed driving. Even if you ONLY drive on interstates at high speed, and never have to idle in traffic or stop at signal lights, your mileage is still going to depend on altitude and temperature and the weight your carrying.

My current car sits pretty firmly at an average mpg of 52.4 to 52.6. I live in the very flat, low altitude, moderate weather mid-Atlantic coastal area. I drive on highways a lot. I also drive in town a bit. And sit in super annoying traffic sometimes. I don't carry much load except when it's my turn to drive the 4 adults to the big city for college basketball games (maybe once a week during the season).

So that's what I do, and I get 52.4 mpg doing it in a car that's EPA rated at 50 mpg city/48 highway, I think.

Last week, I loaded my husband, his recumbent touring bicycle, bike rack, camping gear, a filled 35 quart cooler, luggage, bike tools, big ass first aid kit, and a full tank of gas, and transported all that crap uphill to the mountains of NC, some 290 miles away. My gas mileage for that trip was 44.9. I spent the week working my way back in a generally downhill direction - minus husband and bike - while my husband cycled the Mountains to Coast Ride. (He rides; I report/blog about it.)

By the time we made it to the beach on Saturday, my 'trip' mileage was 49.6 mpg, and my Life of Car mpg was at 51.2 mpg.

tl;dr: The Maverick has a bigger hybrid battery, but weighs more. I would expect it to get about 8% better mpg than predicted in ideal driving environments and maybe 5% less than predicted under more extreme driving environments. Either way, it's better than anything else on the market.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Step up Guys/Girls with the 2.0L EcoBoost 2WD. What MPG are you getting in real life?

Question: Eco vs Hybrid setup. I have a daily 75 mile highway commute. A Dealer was telling me the Hybrid 40 mpg "guess" would never hold up at 70mph highway situation. Was pushing the EcoBoost at 30 to 31mpg. Is this right? I thinking he's taking that position because all he has on the lot are EcoBoost.

This well be my first Hybrid. I have a 2001 Sport Trac 215K miles. will keep that forever. I do like trucks more than sedans. But... Hyundia Ioniq and Honda Insight posting up 50+mpg is like a Siren Call.

Carl
I would say unless you go with the Lariat trim it will be hard to beat the interior features of those sedans. They are probably more comfortable for that long drive as well. Do you really want/need a truck bed? If not, then go sedan if the price per feature set is right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to Both of you. I'm a truck guy and the Mav numbers make me want to buy one today. Sometimes I hate my logical brain. I have a Sport Trac that runs well. Drove 700 miles up to Central NY cabin and back. It's still running strong. I'll never sell it.

So... guess I've answered my own question. Get the Ioniq, enjoy the 50+ mpg for work. Continue to enjoy the Sport Trac on the farm.

I'll watch for the Mav 50+ mpg announcement! grins....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks to Both of you. I'm a truck guy and the Mav numbers make me want to buy one today. Sometimes I hate my logical brain. I have a Sport Trac that runs well. Drove 700 miles up to Central NY cabin and back. It's still running strong. I'll never sell it.

So... guess I've answered my own question. Get the Ioniq, enjoy the 50+ mpg for work. Continue to enjoy the Sport Trac on the farm.

I'll watch for the Mav 50+ mpg announcement! grins....
Unfortunately, it won't be till early 2022 that the Maverick Hybrid comes in for many people. Provided the OK to buy is actually set for 12/8 like it's rumored. According to test drives, reviewers have been getting over 40 mpg on the Maverick hybrid, and they aren't even hypermiling. We'll see. What the dealer said to you sounds like BS to get you to buy the EcoBoost over the hybrid. EcoBoost drivers are getting under 30 mpg. Some are getting better than EPA, but not by much. Your dealer has EB Mavericks on the lot and won't even get dealer stock of the hybrid till next year. He'll say what he wants to get you to buy the truck on the lot.

The Maverick looks very similar to the Sport Trac, thought the Sport Trac is probably a more capable truck. If you're keeping the Sport Trac then the Ionic would be the way to go. If you want to just consolidate down to one car then I'd say go for the Mav.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Worst case scenario for the hybrid (highway at 75MPH) should still have better fuel economy than the Ecoboost. I still get about 40MPG in my Fusion Hybrid with the pedal down and highway the entire way; I would wager the hybrid Maverick in the same situation would be around 36MPG. Ecoboost is there for more power and more hauling/towing. (and not having to wait)

(* pure speculation)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some of you are probably a bit too young (but I'm not) to remember the 1985 Honda CRX HF. HF stood for High Fuel. It was a two seater that was rated at 54mpg highway. I took it on a 400 mile road trip going 70-75 most of the way. When I filled up close to home, I had to refigure the numbers three times until I as convinced I actually got that number. The tires on it were "low rolling resistance" and I found them to be unsafe after 12,ooo miles in the rain. Once I changed the tires to something better, down went the mileage. In 1989 I took my wife to Florida in it, pretty well loaded up with stuff and got below 40mpg, bummer. The next car was a 1992 Honda VX, four seats and rated at 55mpg. It would do it, until I installed air conditioning and better tires. So the technology for a relatively inexpensive car, without resorting to batteries, was available back 26 years ago. What happened? Air bags and other Safety gear, powered windows, door locks, emission systems, blended fuels, etc.
And here we are, struggling to get back to those earlier numbers. One bad thing about those two vehicles; They were small cars. People tended to follow way too close because they have a brain configured that a car should look a certain size when you follow it and if you can't gauge that it is a smaller car, you'll be risking a rear end collision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The way the EPA ratings are determined is kind of dumb. It's basically a fixed driving pattern that don't actually line up with real world highway or city driving (at least not the way I drive).

This is the "Highway" test the EPA uses. Average speed of 48.3 mph and they are driving at above 55 mph for a very short amount of time. I think most people should expect much better "highway" mpg than their vehicle is rated for.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Some of you are probably a bit too young (but I'm not) to remember the 1985 Honda CRX HF. HF stood for High Fuel. It was a two seater that was rated at 54mpg highway. I took it on a 400 mile road trip going 70-75 most of the way. When I filled up close to home, I had to refigure the numbers three times until I as convinced I actually got that number. The tires on it were "low rolling resistance" and I found them to be unsafe after 12,ooo miles in the rain. Once I changed the tires to something better, down went the mileage. In 1989 I took my wife to Florida in it, pretty well loaded up with stuff and got below 40mpg, bummer. The next car was a 1992 Honda VX, four seats and rated at 55mpg. It would do it, until I installed air conditioning and better tires. So the technology for a relatively inexpensive car, without resorting to batteries, was available back 26 years ago. What happened? Air bags and other Safety gear, powered windows, door locks, emission systems, blended fuels, etc.
And here we are, struggling to get back to those earlier numbers. One bad thing about those two vehicles; They were small cars. People tended to follow way too close because they have a brain configured that a car should look a certain size when you follow it and if you can't gauge that it is a smaller car, you'll be risking a rear end collision.
Weight. It's all about trying to get those mpg numbers with performance all that extra weight. All the added safety equipment weighs a lot. The HF had a seatbelt and that was it. An '88 CRX HF weighed just over 1800 lbs. 1800!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Carl
I cannot see how the 40MPGs would hold up on the freeway for long drives since it is not likely the electric motor would be kicking on very often.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I cannot see how the 40MPGs would hold up on the freeway for long drives since it is not likely the electric motor would be kicking on very often.
That's not really the right way to think about it though. The electric motor will assist at any cruusing speed and the hybrid system will regenerate power any time the vehicle decelerates. Just as an example using totally made up numbers.... Let's say it takes 50HP to maintain 75mph. The electric portion of the hybrid contributes 25 continuous HP making the engine contribute 25 for motivation and some more for power generation. So effectively the engine always works less than normal which = fuel economy.
The only way this wouldn't be true is if the Regen is INOP or the battery fails. That's why if the HV battery in a hybrid fails and the car still operates, it will operate with reduced efficiency in all modes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You'd be surprised how often in steady driving the electric motor assists the gas powered engine. If you set your display to monitor that sort of thing, it's both mesmerizing and distracting, but there's just a regular shift of charge and discharge - and back and forth assist during highway driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts