Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I currently own a 2008 Jeep Liberty that I started out leasing, loved so much I ended up buying it out and have now driven it for 13 years. However, I live in Western New York and we salt the roads, meaning the old Liberty is getting body cancer (rust). So it's time for a replacement and the Maverick really tickles my fancy.

I was initially going to get one of the new 2022 Nissan Frontiers, but the prices that have come out on those are right in line with all the other mid-sized trucks, and I simply don't want to spend that much on a vehicle right now. What really burns is that I spent over a year waiting for them, expecting an updated "value truck" and got kicked in the nuts by corporate greed.

So I am on the hunt for another option, and the Mav is on my list.

Here's a pic of my faithful old Liberty: She's worn, but still strong. Gonna hurt to give her up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you’re an off road warrior you won’t be happy. If you just want to do light duty truck stuff and drive a lot on paved roads you will love it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey all,

I currently own a 2008 Jeep Liberty that I started out leasing, loved so much I ended up buying it out and have now driven it for 13 years. However, I live in Western New York and we salt the roads, meaning the old Liberty is getting body cancer (rust). So it's time for a replacement and the Maverick really tickles my fancy.

I was initially going to get one of the new 2022 Nissan Frontiers, but the prices that have come out on those are right in line with all the other mid-sized trucks, and I simply don't want to spend that much on a vehicle right now. What really burns is that I spent over a year waiting for them, expecting an updated "value truck" and got kicked in the nuts by corporate greed.

So I am on the hunt for another option, and the Mav is on my list.

Here's a pic of my faithful old Liberty: She's worn, but still strong. Gonna hurt to give her up.
View attachment 1417
I did something I probably should not have done today. I googled Ford Hybrid Transmission Reliability and found page after page of failed transmissions across their whole line of vehicles which included class action lawsuits against Ford. After all these years of making hybrids you would think they could get it right.

I'm rethinking this hybrid selection and may go with the Eco boost. After all, who sells a product before they have the parts and production facility to build the thing?

I know other manufactures have transmission problems but nothing like Ford. Read the complaints and forums from people that are actually driving these vehicles before going ballistic defending Ford over a vehicle nobody owns yet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did something I probably should not have done today. I googled Ford Hybrid Transmission Reliability and found page after page of failed transmissions across their whole line of vehicles which included class action lawsuits against Ford. After all these years of making hybrids you would think they could get it right.

I'm rethinking this hybrid selection and may go with the Eco boost. After all, who sells a product before they have the parts and production facility to build the thing?

I know other manufactures have transmission problems but nothing like Ford. Read the complaints and forums from people that are actually driving these vehicles before going ballistic defending Ford over a vehicle nobody owns yet.
I’ve googled this as well and the majority of the failures are from the non hybrids. Also with a 100k mile / 8 year warranty I think we can rest easy for a while. The regular transmission only has a 60k mile / 5 year warranty.

Nearly everything is being delayed or having commodity constraints due to covid. Toyota delays the Corolla Cross tell next year. Not that Ford ever has a good launch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Would be very surprised to hear of a hybrid transmission failure. They are a simple planetary gear arrangement with no clutches or servos or any other normal failure points. I know Ford has a terrible reputation for transmissions but this is a completely different unit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Would be very surprised to hear of a hybrid transmission failure. They are a simple planetary gear arrangement with no clutches or servos or any other normal failure points. I know Ford has a terrible reputation for transmissions but this is a completely different unit.
most of ford's awful reputation came from the PowerShift. Most Americans don't really understand dual clutch gearboxes or that you need to modify your driving style to drive them smoothly. Hence, we did what we do best, and became the MegaKaren and demanded Ford's manager fix it.

funny thing, though, none of the vehicles equipped with manuals instead of the PowerShift seemed to have any problems...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of the problems are prior to 2017.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most of the problems are prior to 2017.
That's true, but this is a new ecvt designed in house by Ford with very little real life testing.( three year development time eating Oreo cookies for dinner) :rolleyes: The algorithms and software will be updated continuously over the next year when real people ( not Ford Employees ) with different driving skills get behind the wheel.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Someone post that video of the CVT being explained...Also isn't it based on a Toyota design and Ford modified it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Someone post that video of the CVT being explained...Also isn't it based on a Toyota design and Ford modified it?
The only modification I could see was Ford going to Hairpin motor windings and magnet placement, which is good. It gives them a smaller motor, less heat to dissipate and about 1% better efficiency. One percent is a big deal in this application.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts