Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post, and I expect it's going to be a controversial one. Not looking to start a fight or anything, I'm just guessing not everyone will agree with me on this.

I hope the modders here can help me find a solution.

I'm looking at replacing my (heavily modified) aging 2008 Jeep Liberty with a Ford Maverick. The price is right and for what it does it would functionally replace everything I can do with the Liberty (except the heavier off roading, but admittedly, I really don't do that anymore. No time.)

The thing that is holding me back is that thrice cursed rotary knob gear shifter.

I hate them.

What I am trying to find out is if anyone knows if the dial shifter can be swapped with a stick style shifter from another model of Ford truck or car? Like the Ranger auto shift stick? It is also a "fly by wire" CANBUS unit, it just uses a normal, highly tactile shifter stick. I just don't know if it's compatible and I'm not about to commit to a vehicle purchase just to find out.

Note that I'm perfectly fine with losing the "auto park" function. I never want the vehicle to do anything I haven't explicitly told it to do, so if I can hamstring that function in the process, all the better. If I have to mount a couple extra CANBUS toggle buttons to replace other functions of the Rotary, I can do that too. I have a drill. ;)

If it's absolutely not possible, then the Maverick may fall off my list of prospective vehicles. Yeah, the rotary knob is that big of a deal to me.

Normally I wouldn't even consider a vehicle that I was forced to do "quality of life" mods to right off the lot, but money is tight right now and the Mav fits my budget and needs. Almost everything else that fits is 10-20k outside my budget. (Still looking at the Jeep Compass, but it's got shit for towing capability) Also, I have to admit that the Mav just kind of twigs something in me. I like it. More than I expected I would. It's just... that KNOB... Grrrrrrr!

Recommendations for a swap?

·
Registered
59 Posts
No. The dial is an electrical switch, not a mechanical lever that connects to anything. At current, Ford does not have a plug and play lever (switch) that can be simply swapped into the same location.

I wish it weren't so as I detest the rotary dials, they aren't nearly as intuitive as a conventional lever shifter. The price point of the truck however is enough compensating factor to set that aside LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No. The dial is an electrical switch, not a mechanical lever that connects to anything. At current, Ford does not have a plug and play lever (switch) that can be simply swapped into the same location.

I wish it weren't so as I detest the rotary dials, they aren't nearly as intuitive as a conventional lever shifter. The price point of the truck however is enough compensating factor to set that aside LOL.
I get that it's a switch. it's an electronic switch with a circuit board that sends position signal via CANBUS to the truck's computer.

However, every other auto transmission shifter in Ford's modern lineup, whether stick or knob, is the same thing. they are ALL "drive by wire". NONE of them are physically connected to the transmission. Only the Manual shift models are. (At least, as far as I am aware.)

My question is: Can a CANBUS stick style auto shifter be swapped with a CANBUS dial style auto shifter?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Funny you say that, I saw a 2021 Mustang Shelby GT500 in the showroom when I ordered the Maverick. Wanna guess if it had a lever shifter?? I looked at the manager quizzingly, he just sighed and shook his head 🤣

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get that it's a switch. it's an electronic switch with a circuit board that sends position signal via CANBUS to the truck's computer.

However, every other auto transmission shifter in Ford's modern lineup, whether stick or knob, is the same thing. they are ALL "drive by wire". NONE of them are physically connected to the transmission. Only the Manual shift models are. (At least, as far as I am aware.)

My question is: Can a CANBUS stick style auto shifter be swapped with a CANBUS dial style auto shifter?
Nothing would prevent aftermarket from doing it, besides the headache of possibly needing dealer or decked out garage that can pair it to the main control unit. I guess if they got crafty and had a CANBUS ID cloning procedure :unsure:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Although I do like physical shifters, it is less safe, as the dials allow the system to keep you from putting the car in a dangerous state. Its not like its a manual or a DCT and they are robbing you of both a shift knob or paddles. My Dad's new Ram 3500 (I think) has even went to the dial.

Reactions: yankeehotelfoxtrot

·
Registered
174 Posts
Everyone saying no..... C'mon. This is a truck for makers! And, he has a drill!

Get a big ol hole saw that will go all the way around the rotary shifter, cut it out. Take the center bit out first so that you don't drill a hole through the dial.
Place the newly liberated dial assy on it's side and JB Weld a shifter to the dial face.
Mount the shifter to the side of the center console. You may have to lengthen the wire harness for the shifter.

Viola! You now have a stick shifter and a new, central cup holder!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, first post, and I expect it's going to be a controversial one. Not looking to start a fight or anything, I'm just guessing not everyone will agree with me on this.

I'm looking at replacing my (heavily modified) aging 2008 Jeep Liberty with a Ford Maverick. The price is right and for what it does it would functionally replace everything I can do with the Liberty (except the heavier off roading, but admittedly, I really don't do that anymore. No time.)

The thing that is holding me back is that thrice cursed rotary knob gear shifter.

I hate them.

What I am trying to find out is if anyone knows if the dial shifter can be swapped with a stick style shifter from another model of Ford truck or car? Like the Ranger auto shift stick? It is also a "fly by wire" CANBUS unit, it just uses a normal, highly tactile shifter stick. I just don't know if it's compatible and I'm not about to commit to a vehicle purchase just to find out.

Note that I'm perfectly fine with losing the "auto park" function. I never want the vehicle to do anything I haven't explicitly told it to do, so if I can hamstring that function in the process, all the better. If I have to mount a couple extra CANBUS toggle buttons to replace other functions of the Rotary, I can do that too. I have a drill. ;)

If it's absolutely not possible, then the Maverick may fall off my list of prospective vehicles. Yeah, the rotary knob is that big of a deal to me.

Normally I wouldn't even consider a vehicle that I was forced to do "quality of life" mods to right off the lot, but money is tight right now and the Mav fits my budget and needs. Almost everything else that fits is 10-20k outside my budget. (Still looking at the Jeep Compass, but it's got shit for towing capability) Also, I have to admit that the Mav just kind of twigs something in me. I like it. More than I expected I would. It's just... that KNOB... Grrrrrrr!

Stick with the Jeep Liberty.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I hate them.

How bout this? Fits in the cup holder.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think you need to look at the schematics / prints for both units . If there both fly by wire you need to see if Ford uses the same plug adapter with the same # of pins .
Then the hard part will be retrofitting the new shifter onto the console to look like it’s OEM .

·
Registered
24 Posts
How bout this? Fits in the cup holder.
View attachment 1422
Since I'm so used to resting hand on shifter I actually thought about doing a possible 3D printed cup holder based substitute to fit a Maverick. If I like it i'd make a mold and just do some small batches. Little bit of upholstery work to make it not look like a LEGO toy. Who knows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny you say that, I saw a 2021 Mustang Shelby GT500 in the showroom when I ordered the Maverick. Wanna guess if it had a lever shifter?? I looked at the manager quizzingly, he just sighed and shook his head 🤣
Yeah. Ford is going through the "Let's put these cool knobs in all our vehicles!" thing like Chrysler did about 4 years ago. THEN the knobs turned out to be the utter shit that of course they are, a bunch failed and caused accidents, (Including an accident that killed actor Anton Yelchin, "Chekov" in the newer Star Trek films) Chrylser got their ass handed to them in court and immediately did away with the knobs on all models, going back entirely to the stick style shifters.

So yeah, expect the lawsuits to be incoming on those real soon unless Ford has some magic sauce that no other car maker has discovered yet. (yeah, right.)

As for me, since it appears swapping it out is not really an option unless I want to go it alone and experiment, I'm bailing on the Mav. I hate the knobs that much. They are an utter deal breaker for me.

Good luck guys, I hope you like your trucks when you get them. I'll probably be getting a 2022 Nissan Frontier instead. More expensive, but also more truck.

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll reserve judgement until I drive it. I'm replacing a manual, so any automatic is going to be very different for me, but are the knobs really all that bad? Sure, there's probably less feedback about what gear you get into, but at the end of the day it's just an automatic.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I hate them.

I'm curious. What is it that you don't like about shift knobs?

·
Registered
137 Posts
As for me, since it appears swapping it out is not really an option unless I want to go it alone and experiment, I'm bailing on the Mav. I hate the knobs that much. They are an utter deal breaker for me.

Good luck guys, I hope you like your trucks when you get them. I'll probably be getting a 2022 Nissan Frontier instead. More expensive, but also more truck.

Thanks!
I drove a manual for 10 years before having to drive automatics. I feel I was a better driver when I had to shift, since I paid attention to driving more. I miss driving stick except when stopping on an uphill with a car behind me that's way too close.

That being said it's kind of silly to not buy a car because an automatic shifter, something you will hardly touch unless there's a manual mode, is different. We humans are silly though and buy or not buy things based on so many silly things.

I'm sure the Frontier is much better suited to you. Seems like a nice truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've owned 3 RWD Frontiers over a 15-year period. The first one was the car-like platform before the current one. It actually had a stick shift! If excitement isn't your thing, you will like them. The last one I owned had the rear end fail at 40,000 miles (and I never haul anything of consequence). The dealer took it away from me when they discovered the problem. I traded it for the Transit Connect I've been driving for my last 5-year cycle - which I will be selling when my Lariat comes in. The TC was a paradigm shift for me. It caused an end to my shade tree mechanic days. The first vehicle I've ever owned that I really couldn't work on easily - even just to change the oil! Then I found out how difficult/impossible it is to connect aftermarket devices to it, Like Sirius Radio, because the factory build doesn't provide any interface to connect to. Things Change. We have to change with them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts