Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As like most, I've been watching all the reviews and reading all the forums. I've seen multiple places say the speakers are junk. They really aren't at all. If you are an audiophile, yeah maybe, but I've seen a bunch of reviews saying they were terrible. I ordered a set of $120 door speakers, because I trusted those reviews and articles. I would've never ordered new speakers if I had just waited until my truck came in. I'm really on the fence about even changing them out, even though they are already here and paid for. Don't get me wrong it's not a super system, but for stock it is pretty decent. I wish I would've waited to hear myself instead of listening to some reviewers that are probably sponsored by crutchfield or something. The moral of the story is, unless you love the most amazing sound you can have, wait because it's not as bad as some have made it out to be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the honest review. I am waiting to see how "terrible" they are before changing. Plus within the next while, I foresee a full kicker system with sub.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm an old sterophile (64 years old). I have had Bose, Altec Lansing, Pioneer, Jensen you name it. At home and in my vehicles. This system is fine for me. I just wish I could have ordered a CD player.... YES a CD player :ROFLMAO: but that is what i like using.
I have a new pioneer tape deck still in a box next to all my Tapes I still have ..lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My XL's audio is "not bad" and I don't plan to upgrade my speakers, but I can understand why others might think differently.

I'm a little mystified by the adjustments. The sound is OK if I use the setting for "all seats occupied" (I forget what it's called exactly) but not for "driver only." Sound quality drops off if the front/back + left/right fader setting isn't centered. And the treble/midrange/bass sliders seem to have minimal effect, compared to other cars I've owned.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
14 Posts
Nice post - glad it’s not just me ! I saw the reviews, as well and was planning on upgrading the system. However, once I got my truck, I’m just fine with the system. I’m not a music/sound system expert, but I love my music when I’m driving, and I’m perfectly fine with the stock system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice post - glad it’s not just me ! I saw the reviews, as well and was planning on upgrading the system. However, once I got my truck, I’m just fine with the system. I’m not a music/sound system expert, but I love my music when I’m driving, and I’m perfectly fine with the stock system
I figured it I would upgrade before having a payment due every month. That's why I upgraded early based on the reviews. I also love music, and didn't want a crap system to ruin my purchase.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I follow a guy on Youtube. Channel name is Raffi Red. He is great, and shows you how to install a new sound system on your Maverick. Check him out. I don't know him, or have any ties to his channel. Just shows you how to do the install safely and correctly. You can really screw up your Maverick if you don't know what you are doing with this new vehicle. Just the new systems in these new vehicles are so complex and tied into everything. Just be careful if you do your own install.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I installed stereo systems at GoodGuys for almost 10 years and I have no issue with the stick speakers. It just depend on someone’s taste in music or something. To me it is similar to adding an EQ in the single din space of your vehicle. I usually told the customer it wasn’t worth it because they would be tweaking it with every song.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll add my 2 cents worth on this post. My wife got a lariat with the B&O sound system. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. I can not tell the difference between the B&O sound system and the stock sound system (which I was able to breifly test in a friends XLT). I was not able to crank the sound system in the XLT so perhaps the difference is in the higher volume? Or maybe my sense of hearing is less than the average human? Either way, if it was my truck, I would not spend extra money for the B&O and I would happy with stock speakers. Anyway, happy monday to you all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I follow a guy on Youtube. Channel name is Raffi Red. He is great, and shows you how to install a new sound system on your Maverick. Check him out. I don't know him, or have any ties to his channel. Just shows you how to do the install safely and correctly. You can really screw up your Maverick if you don't know what you are doing with this new vehicle. Just the new systems in these new vehicles are so complex and tied into everything. Just be careful if you do your own install.
Kicker is making a plug and play wiring for an amp and sub hook up. I foresee a full kicker speaker kit in the future for the Maverick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Having using the stock XL sound system heavily for about 6 months (since October 2021) I can definitely confirm that the sound system is much better than expected. I also had the idea of changing out the speakers but after breaking them in over a few weeks they are way above average and pretty clean. I will add that at lower volumes the speakers are a little flat but in the peak volume range the sound great.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Kicker is making a plug and play wiring for an amp and sub hook up. I foresee a full kicker speaker kit in the future for the Maverick.
That will be sweet. Thanx for the info Notacar.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm not upset with the stock system at all and in fact find the adjustments that can be made to be pretty good, but after using it for a while it's apparent that the speakers just can't provide the range I want. I don't listen at high volume levels but still hear mostly mid range. If you try to push too much in either direction, bass or treble, it really falls over. Some songs sound fine, others not so much, especially as the volume goes up.

But again, I wasn't too put off with how it sounds. Still, I thought I'd address the treble side and installed some cheap $16.00 almost-sure-they-are-knock-off Alpine tweeters in the A-pillar trim. I wired them in parallel with the door speakers and they sound great. Really added to the high end, so I can turn that setting down from the head unit so not to push the stock speakers and still get crisp sounding highs from those tweets.
There was no volume gain from the stock speakers and so far the head unit is having no issues, so I'm not worried that I've dropped the resistance of that from channel much at all.

Next I'll install a small 8" powered subwoofer (that I had in my F150) behind the rear seat, approx where the B&O one sits, push most bass to that and I'm sure I'll be all set. Good enough for me.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm not upset
I'm not upset with the stock system at all and in fact find the adjustments that can be made to be pretty good, but after using it for a while it's apparent that the speakers just can't provide the range I want. I don't listen at high volume levels but still hear mostly mid range. If you try to push too much in either direction, bass or treble, it really falls over. Some songs sound fine, others not so much, especially as the volume goes up.

But again, I wasn't too put off with how it sounds. Still, I thought I'd address the treble side and installed some cheap $16.00 almost-sure-they-are-knock-off Alpine tweeters in the A-pillar trim. I wired them in parallel with the door speakers and they sound great. Really added to the high end, so I can turn that setting down from the head unit so not to push the stock speakers and still get crisp sounding highs from those tweets.
There was no volume gain from the stock speakers and so far the head unit is having no issues, so I'm not worried that I've dropped the resistance of that from channel much at all.

Next I'll install a small 8" powered subwoofer (that I had in my F150) behind the rear seat, approx where the B&O one sits, push most bass to that and I'm sure I'll be all set. Good enough for me. View attachment 3632
the stock system at all and in fact find the adjustments that can be made to be pretty good, but after using it for a while it's apparent that the speakers just can't provide the range I want. I don't listen at high volume levels but still hear mostly mid range. If you try to push too much in either direction, bass or treble, it really falls over. Some songs sound fine, others not so much, especially as the volume goes up.

Next I'll install a small 8" powered subwoofer (that I had in my F150) behind the rear seat, approx where the B&O one sits, push most bass to that and I'm sure I'll be all set. Good enough for me. View attachment 3632

Nice speaker install! Super clean and neat! How long did it take you to install them Toddio, if i might ask? Also will you show us your install of the subwoofer, if you decide to do it? Thanx MaverickMax

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice speaker install! Super clean and neat! How long did it take you to install them Toddio, if i might ask? Also will you show us your install of the subwoofer, if you decide to do it? Thanx MaverickMax
Thanks. It didn't take very long, maybe a couple of hours at most. Door panels have to come off to wire them up, but they come off really quick. I was happy to find that there is plenty of headspace behind that a-pillar trim.

Sure, I'll post a picture of the sub after I get it installed but it's not much to look at. It did add just enough bass to my old truck for my tastes, though. Waiting for it to warm up a bit outside again before I do. Typical spring weather here now: cold, wet, windy.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thanx Toddio. I'm really interested in exactly why you installed your tweeters, and maybe the small subwoofer. Hope it warms up soon there. We are a hot 91 here today! Not fun. Feel like I got sun burned today. Tingly on my face, if there is such a word. Have a great tomorrow.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanx Toddio. I'm really interested in exactly why you installed your tweeters, and maybe the small subwoofer. Hope it warms up soon there. We are a hot 91 here today! Not fun. Feel like I got sun burned today. Tingly on my face, if there is such a word. Have a great tomorrow.
Exactly why I installed them?
Well, like I said I think the stock system is really lacking in the very high and very low frequencies. It may just be my hearing? But that's why I'm doing this.
To explain way too much... For example, I think Sirius and Pandora sound just o.k. Sirius from any native player sounds like absolute trash in my opinion, so at least the app through Android Auto is bearable. These streaming platforms compress the audio way too much and you really lose out on audio definition: muddy bass, muffled highs, all kinds of 'wow'. Audio compression garbage.
To combat this I've uploaded my entire CD collection in a lossless format to an online storage application called iBroadcast. They also have an app that works great with Android Auto. I can play them all back with full CD quality definition. Drawbacks are a bit of laggyness as a song downloads and high data usage. (Took care of the data usage with the Ford/ATT unlimited in car data). Anyway, the music sounds great but really shows the flaws in the factory system. The tweets I installed rectified part of this: A top hat sounds like top hat and a cymbal a cymbal, not just a random crash hiss sound.
But that only amplifies the lack of bass. You can get some bass from the door speakers, but then the door rattles and at that point the speaker is distorting anyway, so it needs that subwoofer to handle the bass. I don't want to shake the windows, but when Gojira is cranking out some double bass hits, I want to hear them.
Sorry for the long explanation, but that's why. Yes, I know some people think I'm nuts. And for the record, this will just make the system pretty ok at lower volumes, where I listen to it.

TLDR: When you listen to Sirius or Pandora all day, the stock system is fine. If you do hook up a CD player or listen to a lossless format, you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm an old sterophile (64 years old). I have had Bose, Altec Lansing, Pioneer, Jensen you name it. At home and in my vehicles. This system is fine for me. I just wish I could have ordered a CD player.... YES a CD player :ROFLMAO: but that is what i like using.
At 73, if I start listening to a lot of music I’ll get a small unit to sit on the lower part of console.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm like you. I want a cd player and going to see what I can put in at a later time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts