Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm like you. I want a cd player and going to see what I can put in at a later time.
USB CD Player: Plug and play. Sets on the center console and works fine there for now. May try to do a slide-out/hidden mount in the glove box later. But for now I only use it when I find a new to me CD and keep it in the glove box when not in use. No vertical mount option on this one.
Vehicle Watch Car Motor vehicle Computer

Motor vehicle Light Gear shift Automotive design Car

Font Material property Parallel Paper Paper product

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm an old sterophile (64 years old). I have had Bose, Altec Lansing, Pioneer, Jensen you name it. At home and in my vehicles. This system is fine for me. I just wish I could have ordered a CD player.... YES a CD player :ROFLMAO: but that is what i like using.
old at 64, give me a break, thinking on pulling out the old 4 track, who remembers that one

·
Registered
568 Posts
😱😱😱
Exactly why I installed them?
Well, like I said I think the stock system is really lacking in the very high and very low frequencies. It may just be my hearing? But that's why I'm doing this.
To explain way too much... For example, I think Sirius and Pandora sound just o.k. Sirius from any native player sounds like absolute trash in my opinion, so at least the app through Android Auto is bearable. These streaming platforms compress the audio way too much and you really lose out on audio definition: muddy bass, muffled highs, all kinds of 'wow'. Audio compression garbage.
To combat this I've uploaded my entire CD collection in a lossless format to an online storage application called iBroadcast. They also have an app that works great with Android Auto. I can play them all back with full CD quality definition. Drawbacks are a bit of laggyness as a song downloads and high data usage. (Took care of the data usage with the Ford/ATT unlimited in car data). Anyway, the music sounds great but really shows the flaws in the factory system. The tweets I installed rectified part of this: A top hat sounds like top hat and a cymbal a cymbal, not just a random crash hiss sound.
But that only amplifies the lack of bass. You can get some bass from the door speakers, but then the door rattles and at that point the speaker is distorting anyway, so it needs that subwoofer to handle the bass. I don't want to shake the windows, but when Gojira is cranking out some double bass hits, I want to hear them.
Sorry for the long explanation, but that's why. Yes, I know some people think I'm nuts. And for the record, this will just make the system pretty ok at lower volumes, where I listen to it.

TLDR: When you listen to Sirius or Pandora all day, the stock system is fine. If you do hook up a CD player or listen to a lossless format, you'll be disappointed.
Thank You Toddio. That explains alot about why my Challenger rear speakers sounded like they were blown from day one. I had the Altec Lansing expensive upgraded system too! I let my Sirius sub, go after two years. I'm actually scared to death to mess with this Maverick. I was with the Challenger as well. When you look at my '70 Montego's fuse box and these 'new' fuse panels....😖 Jeepers! I'm going to wait awhile to see what you and others find what it best. Sorry this old timer just doesn't hang, with you young ones.

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Toddio where did you get that CD player!!! looks great!
I got mine from Mercari. Someone bought it for their Hyundai and it wouldn't work with that for some reason (apparently they are finicky what they work with), so for $35.00 I took a gamble even before I got my truck. Works great.

Just search for "USB CD player" on eBay, Amazon, etc. and you'll get lots of options. The type I have are about $70.00
None of them say they are compatible with the Maverick, but I suspect most actually are, although the newest ones are dvd compatible also, so I'm not sure if they work in the Maverick? Any older CD only type should though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm an old sterophile (64 years old). I have had Bose, Altec Lansing, Pioneer, Jensen you name it. At home and in my vehicles. This system is fine for me. I just wish I could have ordered a CD player.... YES a CD player :ROFLMAO: but that is what i like using.
I am totally with you on wishing my Mav could have been ordered with a CD player. And I'm just over 70 years old, with over 200 CD's collecting dust. I also wish they offered SiriusXM built into the radio for all trim levels and not just the Lariat. However I do like my little truck alot.
For the price I paid, I don't think there's any other vehicle out there that would have been a better idea.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I got mine from Mercari. Someone bought it for their Hyundai and it wouldn't work with that for some reason (apparently they are finicky what they work with), so for $35.00 I took a gamble even before I got my truck. Works great.

Just search for "USB CD player" on eBay, Amazon, etc. and you'll get lots of options. The type I have are about $70.00
None of them say they are compatible with the Maverick, but I suspect most actually are, although the newest ones are dvd compatible also, so I'm not sure if they work in the Maverick? Any older CD only type should though.
Thank You Thank You Thank You Toddio!!!! You Just made my night. I'm going to Amazon right after I get threw typing this. If you only knew how much this means to me. I have hundreds of CD's i can't use, but at home. Listening the "The Buckinghams"...lol you probably don't have the slightest. But I don't have the slightest of your taste in music either. I hope you have a truly wonderful weekend, with friends and family. I just didn't know how, or even that these CD players existed. Again Thanx Freind. When I get it I will😃 post!

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you need a good stereo to enjoy your music you probably just need to listen to better music ;)

My taste in music is garbage so I got the B&O system just in case. Found that it is way, waaay too bass heavy. I guess that is what all the kids like these days but it was just way too much. I immediately cut the EQ on base down to 1/4

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you need a good stereo to enjoy your music you probably just need to listen to better music ;)

My taste in music is garbage so I got the B&O system just in case. Found that it is way, waaay too bass heavy. I guess that is what all the kids like these days but it was just way too much. I immediately cut the EQ on base down to 1/4
So do you like the B & O system after you cut the Bass down? I purchased the premium A & L system in my Challenger. I found it bass-y too. It to me sounded like the rear speakers were blown. That is why I didn't full tilt on this Maverick. I got my CD player today. I will have to see how it works.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So do you like the B & O system after you cut the Bass down? I purchased the premium A & L system in my Challenger. I found it bass-y too. It to me sounded like the rear speakers were blown. That is why I didn't full tilt on this Maverick. I got my CD player today. I will have to see how it works.
It's pretty good. I like it. I find that B&O system entirely adequate and have zero plans on switching out any of the speakers or upgrading it further.

'Pretty good' is about as far as I'll go. It's certainly not mind blowing but it doesn't leave you wanting or feeling short changed, either.

I think that the Bose sound system in my CX-5 seemed to 'mix' the music better. The B&O definitely puts out more bass, though. There is no competition on that front.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my lariat and I don’t see anything wrong with the stock system it sounded like crap when at factory settings but I just cranked the treble and bass up and cranked the mids down a little and it sounds great to me decent bass for not having a sub and as loud as I need it also has good clarity to me as well .I might upgrade later but I’m in no hurry

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just got my lariat and I don’t see anything wrong with the stock system it sounded like crap when at factory settings but I just cranked the treble and bass up and cranked the mids down a little and it sounds great to me decent bass for not having a sub and as loud as I need it also has good clarity to me as well .I might upgrade later but I’m in no hurry
You have the B&O system, right?

·
Registered
116 Posts
In another forum someone did a frequency response graph of the stock system and it's not bad at all. Most people just like more bass to make up for road noise, etc. For the guys using the usb cd players. I just pop a cd into my desktop PC and it automatically rips the sound into windows media files (or any other compressed ones you want) and load them up on a usb stick and inject that stick into the usb port and there you are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My XL's audio is "not bad" and I don't plan to upgrade my speakers, but I can understand why others might think differently.

I'm a little mystified by the adjustments. The sound is OK if I use the setting for "all seats occupied" (I forget what it's called exactly) but not for "driver only." Sound quality drops off if the front/back + left/right fader setting isn't centered. And the treble/midrange/bass sliders seem to have minimal effect, compared to other cars I've owned.
It's not centered because your not centered in the truck. It is lengthening the distance of your farthest away speakers & shortening the closest.(driver door). So the driver door is getting to you first so it delays it so it matches up with all the other speakers getting to your ears at the same time. It only appears to be dropped off cause everything is getting to you at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As like most, I've been watching all the reviews and reading all the forums. I've seen multiple places say the speakers are junk. They really aren't at all. If you are an audiophile, yeah maybe, but I've seen a bunch of reviews saying they were terrible. I ordered a set of $120 door speakers, because I trusted those reviews and articles. I would've never ordered new speakers if I had just waited until my truck came in. I'm really on the fence about even changing them out, even though they are already here and paid for. Don't get me wrong it's not a super system, but for stock it is pretty decent. I wish I would've waited to hear myself instead of listening to some reviewers that are probably sponsored by crutchfield or something. The moral of the story is, unless you love the most amazing sound you can have, wait because it's not as bad as some have made it out to be.
Those magnets on the 6.5" front door speakers are the size of a quarter!!!!!! Do yourself a favor & at least change those out.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts