Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read that when the tailgate is down, that it can hold around 400 pounds on the tailgate. Is this a lot lighter than usual or an area concern?

I just worry that I am going to try and load a refrigerator or something and have the tailgate break while I climb up move it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Something to consider is that manufacturers tend to under-rate their assemblies a bit when they're estimating load capacity so that clueless end users don't damage the assembly by underestimating how much their load weighs, or being less than gentle with their load. I doubt you'll have much of a problem. Remember that once the load is somewhat in the truck it's distributing its weight onto the bed as well, or the person/people/machine lifting it up are carrying some of it too.

On that subject, though, the load in height is very low for a truck, and you may find yourself able to adjust the load from the front without having to climb in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Something else to consider is that, if the tailgate is rated at 400 lbs, exceeding 400 lbs by a non-extreme amount for only a moment should not cause failure. Loading a fridge should be fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My current ten year old Tacoma's tailgate is also rated for 400lb. (unaware of rating until recently) Been overloaded many times and grossly overloaded once. Extreme example: Loaded 500lb atv + 500lb of cargo on racks+ 200lb rider up ramp mounted on tailgate. Was very reluctant to do this but didn't have much choice at the time and took the chance. No signs of stress on tailgate such as sagging or bending at cable mounting points. Previous Chevy S10 was tortured also and if I get a Maverick it will follow. For anyone carrying extended length loads such as 12' lumber and such a receiver mounted bed extender can be used.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know what my 20+ year old Ranger tailgate is rated for but I know I have been waaaaay over both on it and cargo capacity. It's a truck. I use it as such

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know what my 20+ year old Ranger tailgate is rated for but I know I have been waaaaay over both on it and cargo capacity. It's a truck. I use it as such
I had the same problem with a Silverado, it is the rating of the cables that can limit the weight on the tail gate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I remember right, 400 lbs is the limit for when you are driving, so it assumes there will be some bouncing around, potholes, etc. When it is parked it can take more weight since the truck isn't moving. You should be fine to add more weight safely for loading purposes as long as it is down to 400 when you start driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts