Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this talk about how the 2.5 hybrid might be the better choice - I'm not buying it. It took about 2 minutes talking to a dealer to get the story. The 2.5L hybrid is simply recycled from the Escape Hybrid. It has more weight and complexity. It's cheaper and that is the sole advantage, in my opinion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Define "better". People will get whichever model suits their needs. I live in the Los Angeles / Orange County. Gas is relatively expensive compared to other states. I'm also not towing anything. I like AWD, but it's not a must have for me. Hence the hybrid is better for my needs. I didn't even know it was a competition.

·
Registered
213 Posts
40mpg to 22-23mpg. That a lone does a lot of talking when it’s used in the city and not towing often or a lot
but nothing wrong with 22-23mpg either......if freeway is your main drive than it’s a closer wash

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went with the ecoboost 2.0 in TX, I'm just not sold on the whole Hybrid thing for the sole purpose of fuel savings. Sticking with gas with more power and AWD until I go fully electric which should be in the next five years or so. I've met a few people who have had terrible experiences with hybrids (not fords necessarily). Trim is Lariat Lux AWD and tow not because I need right this minute it but because I'd rather have and not need than need it and not have it for the price I thought it was a no brainer. I do not know what needs I'm going to have in the next few years.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can only go by my experience here, and I have experience with both. The hybrid is dead simple, known, proven technology. I have no doubts it will give many more miles of trouble free service than the 2.0 Ecoboost. Plus, the strain on other drive-line components, brakes, and the engine itself is greatly reduced with the hybrid.
The 2.0 will feel a lot more powerful, can tow more if so equipped, and is available in AWD. So yes, "better" is purely subjective.
I wanted an efficient, cheap to own and maintain vehicle. Those were my primary concerns. Ford 2.5 eCvt based hybrids have proven themselves to me in this regard, hands down. I hope this doesn't prove to be an exception to the rule.

·
Registered
23 Posts
All this talk about how the 2.5 hybrid might be the better choice - I'm not buying it. It took about 2 minutes talking to a dealer to get the story. The 2.5L hybrid is simply recycled from the Escape Hybrid. It has more weight and complexity. It's cheaper and that is the sole advantage, in my opinion.
I believe many of you suggest the Maverick hybrid is the same as the Escape which is incorrect. The electric motor is different in that in that the windings are like solid copper bars that are bent inside of the E motor. Ford brought the assembly of the motor back to s.e. Michigan made by Ford union employees in house. The way I understood it was the Escape and Bronco sport keep there’s the same.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I believe many of you suggest the Maverick hybrid is the same as the Escape which is incorrect. The electric motor is different in that in that the windings are like solid copper bars that are bent inside of the E motor. Ford brought the assembly of the motor back to s.e. Michigan made by Ford union employees in house. The way I understood it was the Escape and Bronco sport keep there’s the same.
Yes, that's correct for the most part. But the major design differences are pretty minimal, so in that respect I expect the similar reliability. I fully expect certain things on the 2.5 will be slightly changed as well.
Design revisions like this can be implemented at any time. It's just easier to think of it as the same since the major design is the same. That said, even a change of spec of a snap ring could cause major problems, but I think it's unlikely in this scenario.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, that's correct for the most part. But the major design differences are pretty minimal, so in that respect I expect the similar reliability. I fully expect certain things on the 2.5 will be slightly changed as well.
Design revisions like this can be implemented at any time. It's just easier to think of it as the same since the major design is the same. That said, even a change of spec of a snap ring could cause major problems, but I think it's unlikely in this scenario.
If anyone wants to learn more about this change go to motorcraft.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both power trains are recycled from the Ford Escape and other vehicles at Ford makes. Never take anything from a salesman and equate it to wisdom. The salesman knows they can't get hybrids but they can get an EcoBoost easier to sell you
Sorry but Escape Hybrid is not the same as Maverick motor is different electric motor and special windings. See motortrend.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can attest to both sides of the Hybrid argument. I worked on several high mileage first and second gen Fusion Hybrids that ran like tops. Saw two eCVT failures as a tech; one was a fleet vehicle right around 200,000 miles with a sensor failure. Don't remember which. The other was a second gen fusion just out of warranty. Motor #2 temp sensor failed and fried the driver circuit in the TCM. It got a transmission and TCM replacement before the owner let Ford take it back with a dead hybrid battery. Never saw a mechanical failure of the 2.5ATK or an eCVT. Ford's hybrid tech really is proven, and it's nice to see they're sticking with a proven design instead of throwing in something new just the sake of being different.

The ecoboost is what the ecoboost will be. I'm unfamiliar with the new 8 speed. I am, however, familiar with leaky turbo coolant lines and 1.5/1.6/2.0 head gaskets...

I just wish the hybrid could pull the full 4K

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can attest to both sides of the Hybrid argument. I worked on several high mileage first and second gen Fusion Hybrids that ran like tops. Saw two eCVT failures as a tech; one was a fleet vehicle right around 200,000 miles with a sensor failure. Don't remember which. The other was a second gen fusion just out of warranty. Motor #2 temp sensor failed and fried the driver circuit in the TCM. It got a transmission and TCM replacement before the owner let Ford take it back with a dead hybrid battery. Never saw a mechanical failure of the 2.5ATK or an eCVT. Ford's hybrid tech really is proven, and it's nice to see they're sticking with a proven design instead of throwing in something new just the sake of being different.

The ecoboost is what the ecoboost will be. I'm unfamiliar with the new 8 speed. I am, however, familiar with leaky turbo coolant lines and 1.5/1.6/2.0 head gaskets...

I just wish the hybrid could pull the full 4K
I wish they wouldn’t of put a hold on scheduling hybrids

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Define "better". People will get whichever model suits their needs. I live in the Los Angeles / Orange County. Gas is relatively expensive compared to other states. I'm also not towing anything. I like AWD, but it's not a must have for me. Hence the hybrid is better for my needs. I didn't even know it was a competition.
Mainly better weight balance. I have always driven manual transmission cars. When downshifting you can feel the balance of the whole vehicle. You can also feel the response of a car when navigating twists and turns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mainly better weight balance. I have always driven manual transmission cars. When downshifting you can feel the balance of the whole vehicle. You can also feel the response of a car when navigating twists and turns. Also remember you are not buying a hybrid from Toyota. It's a more complicated system with more to go wrong.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't find either of these to be true, at least in my experience. And I realize no one has driven or owned the the Maverick hybrid.
But, the Toyota and Ford hybrids have historically been remarkably similar in design. Equally simple or complicated depending on how you look at it.
Also, weight balance. Due to the battery being mounted low, like a fuel tank, helps maintain a constant planted feel is how I'd see it. I happen to like the road feel of a hybrid better than the strictly ICE counterpart, for same vehicle platform. This is subjective.
Again, all of this remains to be seen. I do hope Ford can get off it's rear end and produce the damn things!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both power trains are recycled from the Ford Escape and other vehicles at Ford makes. Never take anything from a salesman and equate it to wisdom. The salesman knows they can't get hybrids but they can get an EcoBoost easier to sell you
But why is it that a bigger engine and added components costs less?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It shouldn't. But I have a theory which may or may not be true.
Ford is selling a lot of trucks. New full size Bronco for example is sold out for 2 years. Ford still has to meet CAFE standards or face heavy fines and their trucks and the Bronco sure as hell are not going to get them there. I believe right now they buy credits from Tesla (please verify that for me).
So, they need a vehicle which will substantially decrease their CAFE footprint. Maverick Hybrid does this with known off the shelf tech and manufacturing process. I would guess Ford is subsidizing the price of Maverick just a little at this point in time in the name of CAFE since it's much cheaper than buying credits and they underestimated demand of the Hybrid.
Just a theory. Probably garbage. 😉

·
Registered
9 Posts
Because the bigger engine is based on a 10 year old Duratec engine and the only added components are required updates to the electrical system at this point. They've done a redesign of one of the motors to increase efficiency, probably at minimal cost. That's probably all they've changed. The Ecoboost and 8 speed are much newer architecture.

Also, Toddio is probably closer to the real reason. They'll lose money to make the platform a success if need be.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts