Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
40mpg to 22-23mpg. That a lone does a lot of talking when it’s used in the city and not towing often or a lot
but nothing wrong with 22-23mpg either......if freeway is your main drive than it’s a closer wash
Fake news: Please show proof of the assumed 2.0 MPG of 22-23. I only have seen 25+

·
Registered
14 Posts
It shouldn't. But I have a theory which may or may not be true.
Ford is selling a lot of trucks. New full size Bronco for example is sold out for 2 years. Ford still has to meet CAFE standards or face heavy fines and their trucks and the Bronco sure as hell are not going to get them there. I believe right now they buy credits from Tesla (please verify that for me).
So, they need a vehicle which will substantially decrease their CAFE footprint. Maverick Hybrid does this with known off the shelf tech and manufacturing process. I would guess Ford is subsidizing the price of Maverick just a little at this point in time in the name of CAFE since it's much cheaper than buying credits and they underestimated demand of the Hybrid.
Just a theory. Probably garbage.
😉
I've heard the same theory, and it makes sense. It's also one of the reasons I think the hybrid is "better." If Ford wants/needs to sell me the hybrid at a lower margin because of regulations (and probably a little marketing), I'm going for that value.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Because the bigger engine is based on a 10 year old Duratec engine and the only added components are required updates to the electrical system at this point. They've done a redesign of one of the motors to increase efficiency, probably at minimal cost. That's probably all they've changed. The Ecoboost and 8 speed are much newer architecture.

Also, Toddio is probably closer to the real reason. They'll lose money to make the platform a success if need be.
You're correct as well. This hybrid isn't really a lot more expensive except when one accounts for the battery. The engine is quite a bit cheaper and may account for the difference. Moving Stator production in-house probably saves a lot of money overall as well.
And losing money isn't necessarily 'losing'. It's just not quite as much profit as it could be.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe many of you suggest the Maverick hybrid is the same as the Escape which is incorrect. The electric motor is different in that in that the windings are like solid copper bars that are bent inside of the E motor. Ford brought the assembly of the motor back to s.e. Michigan made by Ford union employees in house. The way I understood it was the Escape and Bronco sport keep there’s the same.
Additionally I’ve been reading that a new model number will be given the the eCVT. I can’t confirm this though. It is hard to find information from Ford on their eCVTs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All this talk about how the 2.5 hybrid might be the better choice - I'm not buying it. It took about 2 minutes talking to a dealer to get the story. The 2.5L hybrid is simply recycled from the Escape Hybrid. It has more weight and complexity. It's cheaper and that is the sole advantage, in my opinion.
I think you were mis-informed

·
Registered
92 Posts
All this talk about how the 2.5 hybrid might be the better choice - I'm not buying it. It took about 2 minutes talking to a dealer to get the story. The 2.5L hybrid is simply recycled from the Escape Hybrid. It has more weight and complexity. It's cheaper and that is the sole advantage, in my opinion.
For those who need that extra 1.2 seconds faster zero to 60 time the upgrade motor is well worth it. The hybrid is only a little cheaper, a lot cheaper on gas, probably a lot cheaper come brake replacement time, For me the hybrid will save me about $5000 overall in about 4-5 years of driving, and the perfect bridge car for someone wanting a plug in electric but wants more miles/range and in 5 years the range will be where I want it to be (460 miles) in an affordable truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No, it's pretty certain that is the case, the same system as in the Escape hybrid. Look at the diagram on the Ford website, you can see the extra components like battery storage. It is heavier. Ford hybrids are rated "average" for reliability. Whatever that means, they are not as reliable as a Toyota hybrid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The Maverick and Escape share the same platform and the same hybrid engine setup. So, for off-roading, there isn’t really an advantage with the Maverick yet. But a beefier off-roading model could arrive later:

·
Registered
53 Posts
But why is it that a bigger engine and added components costs less?
I'm not sure about the added components part. The traction battery system and 12V DC-DC charger are not found on the traditional engine/transmission system, I get that. But the hybrid system overall is simpler. Weber State has a great video about the Ford/Toyota eCVT, and it looks much simpler than an 8-speed automatic would be, so I'd expect it to be cheaper. Also, the 2.5L engine in this application has no turbocharger, no alternator, and no starter.

I'd be surprised if Ford was taking a loss on the hybrid, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to make less profit there. Especially since it seems they thought the majority would pick the EcoBoost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm not sure about the added components part. The traction battery system and 12V DC-DC charger are not found on the traditional engine/transmission system, I get that. But the hybrid system overall is simpler. Weber State has a great video about the Ford/Toyota eCVT, and it looks much simpler than an 8-speed automatic would be, so I'd expect it to be cheaper. Also, the 2.5L engine in this application has no turbocharger, no alternator, and no starter.

I'd be surprised if Ford was taking a loss on the hybrid, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to make less profit there. Especially since it seems they thought the majority would pick the EcoBoost.
It has to have a generator (instead of a traditional starter) to start the engine when that cycle kicks in. This is how all hybrids work. The information is available online. I do agree that the CVT is preferable to an 8-speed automatic. I will do some more research but batteries are heavy. I don't know why your "not sure" about the added components. Go to Ford's page about the Maverick. It has a diagram that shows a diagram when you click the engine choice. You can see in dark grey the areas of additional parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fords Canadian site can't even get the pictures to match descriptions. Pick 2.5 Hybrid under powertrains and it shows an standard non hybrid ICE. Pick 2.0 ecoboost and it shows hybrid power train with AWD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It has to have a generator (instead of a traditional starter) to start the engine when that cycle kicks in. This is how all hybrids work. The information is available online. I do agree that the CVT is preferable to an 8-speed automatic. I will do some more research but batteries are heavy. I don't know why your "not sure" about the added components. Go to Ford's page about the Maverick. It has a diagram that shows a diagram when you click the engine choice. You can see in dark grey the areas of additional parts.
Respectfully, Ed's got a good point. He pointed out that there are no engine-mounted accessories, so in mentioning the engine and transmission separately, the engine is dead-nuts simple. The generator is an integral part of the eCVT, not engine mounted so it's not an added component. By the time you account for a traditional turbocharged ICE engine with all it's accessories and the extra direct injection parts, the total part count between the GTDI/8 speed and 2.5ATK/CVT might not be that much different at all. I could really see how the hybrid powertrain may actually have less overall components, but I don't have hard data to back that up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If your SELLING POINT is to produce a hybrid truck for under $20K ( I don't know of anybody that bought one for under $20k }. You charge $20k and hope for options and fees to get it to $30k to cut your low ball losses and get 100k reservations. Now we all have a $25k to $35k hybrid deal from Ford.

It's funny nobody at Ford has confirmed to any media outlet that the internal email talking about hybrid production is either real or fake. You mean nobody has asked Ford whether the email is from their production facility and is legit.

I predict you won't see any more leaked emails or memos from dealer insiders or anybody else after this debacle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your SELLING POINT is to produce a hybrid truck for under $20K ( I don't know of anybody that bought one for under $20k }. You charge $20k and hope for options and fees to get it to $30k to cut your low ball losses and get 100k reservations. Now we all have a $25k to $35k hybrid deal from Ford.

It's funny nobody at Ford has confirmed to any media outlet that the internal email talking about hybrid production is either real or fake. You mean nobody has asked Ford whether the email is from their production facility and is legit.

I predict you won't see any more leaked emails or memos from dealer insiders or anybody else after this debacle.
It was a dealer bulletin, and Ford has clarified the production scheduling halt in for dealer inventory vehicles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It was a dealer bulletin, and Ford has clarified the production scheduling halt in for dealer inventory vehicles.
I missed the official dealer bulletin clarification, could you please post the official copy of the clarification so those of us who haven't seen it like yourself can read the document. Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I missed the official dealer bulletin clarification, could you please post the official copy of the clarification so those of us who haven't seen it like yourself can read the document. Thanks in Advance.
Sure thing, had to dig back through the Google. The second link quotes the FMC statement.

“We are excited that both the Maverick Hybrid and EcoBoost will soon be on its way to dealer showrooms, and customers can currently order both trucks from their local dealer. As with any of our vehicles, we continuously adjust production to match demand with parts availability.”

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the research you have done. Now I see the Clarification from Ford:

• 22MY Maverick Scheduling-
    • Maverick FWD w/ Trailer Tow Pkg – 22MY Maverick will no longer offer the FWD (W8E) with Trailer Tow Package (53Q).
    • Maverick Hybrid SchedulingUntil further notice, hybrid orders will not be selected for scheduling.
So the statement should have read:

Maverick Hybrid Scheduling - Until further notice, hybrid orders will not be selected for scheduling because we don't have the parts to make them.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts