Ford Maverick Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
It has more weight and complexity.
The hybrid is actually one of the lightest configurations of Maverick. You lose something like 130lbs payload capacity on an AWD Ecoboost Maverick due to the extra weight of the drivetrain. Ford's hybrid battery pack is quite compact at only about 56 lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Respectfully, Ed's got a good point. He pointed out that there are no engine-mounted accessories, so in mentioning the engine and transmission separately, the engine is dead-nuts simple. The generator is an integral part of the eCVT, not engine mounted so it's not an added component. By the time you account for a traditional turbocharged ICE engine with all it's accessories and the extra direct injection parts, the total part count between the GTDI/8 speed and 2.5ATK/CVT might not be that much different at all. I could really see how the hybrid powertrain may actually have less overall components, but I don't have hard data to back that up.
It's possible that the complexity of the two drivetrains is comparable. Eventually the data will become available to prove the hybrid system is heavier, I think. I looked at the video someone posted above, and the transaxle setup is just weird. It's got a power feed from the electric motor on one side and the ICE on the other. All hybrids have to be like this though. There is just something unsatisfying about the design. It works okay I'm sure. But Ford brought no innovation with this new vehicle, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's possible that the complexity of the two drivetrains is comparable. Eventually the data will become available to prove the hybrid system is heavier, I think. I looked at the video someone posted above, and the transaxle setup is just weird. It's got a power feed from the electric motor on one side and the ICE on the other. All hybrids have to be like this though. There is just something unsatisfying about the design. It works okay I'm sure. But Ford brought no innovation with this new vehicle, as far as I can tell.
The innovation is the price, economy, and functionality. Sorry (not really) that hybrid technology is "weird" and the design is "unsatisfying" to you, but the hybrid model has been much more popular than the ecoboost, so clearly you're in the minority.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Per Ford specifications, the Maverick Hybrid weighs 111 lbs more than the FWD EcoBoost.

Base curb weights (lbs.)
2.5-liter FHEV (FWD) 3,674
2.0-liter EcoBoost (FWD/AWD) 3,563/3,731

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.
I think that the hybrid powertrain technology in my RAV4 is remarkable, therefore I've ordered the same technology for my Maverick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My son is still driving my 2007 Camry Hybrid at 373k. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The innovation is the price, economy, and functionality. Sorry (not really) that hybrid technology is "weird" and the design is "unsatisfying" to you, but the hybrid model has been much more popular than the ecoboost, so clearly you're in the minority.
I agree I'm in the minority. The Toyota Prius hybrid has been a huge success. What I say is, the Toyota Prius is the finest electric typewriter ever made. But true electric cars are personal computers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree I'm in the minority. The Toyota Prius hybrid has been a huge success. What I say is, the Toyota Prius is the finest electric typewriter ever made. But true electric cars are personal computers.
Sure. But like PCs needing CPU and memory capabilities to improve and prices to drop drastically before the became ubiquitous, EVs need battery tech to improve/become cheaper (which is a similar technical solution) AND for infrastructure to improve exponentially (a much much much more difficult issue). Hybrids are a gap solution, but that doesn't make them an any less innovative or elegant solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went with the ecoboost 2.0 in TX, I'm just not sold on the whole Hybrid thing for the sole purpose of fuel savings. Sticking with gas with more power and AWD until I go fully electric which should be in the next five years or so. I've met a few people who have had terrible experiences with hybrids (not fords necessarily). Trim is Lariat Lux AWD and tow not because I need right this minute it but because I'd rather have and not need than need it and not have it for the price I thought it was a no brainer. I do not know what needs I'm going to have in the next few years.
That's funny, I don't think I've ever met someone with a hybrid that didn't love it. I have an old Prius because of the people I've met that have great things to say about hybrids. This 165k mile Prius is the most reliable thing I've ever driven.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's funny, I don't think I've ever met someone with a hybrid that didn't love it. I have an old Prius because of the people I've met that have great things to say about hybrids. This 165k mile Prius is the most reliable thing I've ever driven.
I have a 2006 Honda CRV (with almost 0 maintenance other than scheduled) at 375k and I love it, on top of that y dad has a 93 Chevy Silverado with almost 600k, what is your point?? Also, maybe it's possible we've met different people with different experiences on hybrids, could that be possible?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2006 Honda CRV (with almost 0 maintenance other than scheduled) at 375k and I love it, on top of that y dad has a 93 Chevy Silverado with almost 600k, what is your point?? Also, maybe it's possible we've met different people with different experiences on hybrids, could that be possible?
My point is anecdotal evidence should not really be used in making decisions because we obviously have very different experiences.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My point is anecdotal evidence should not really be used in making decisions because we obviously have very different experiences.
I disagree, anecdotal evidence is what most people use to make their decisions. I make decisions on what I know, surely most people do the same, I chose to go Eco-boost basically from announcement day but I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do exactly what I did, Hybrid might be what you need and that's totally fine.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts