Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Spoke with one of our Ford Mechanics and once we get one in, he is going to see how detailed the process is (if it is possible). Something about replacing the steering wheel with one from the XLT model will let us know if it is feasible.

Spoke with one of our Ford Mechanics and once we get one in, he is going to see how detailed the process is (if it is possible). Something about replacing the steering wheel with one from the XLT model will let us know if it is feasible.
It’s been done on the Ranger. Ford used to reflash, but won’t anymore. There is an aftermarket programmer that can reflash. Google search adding cruise to Ranger xl.

It’s been done on the Ranger. Ford used to reflash, but won’t anymore. There is an aftermarket programmer that can reflash. Google search adding cruise to Ranger xl.
Gotcha. We're looking at ways to do it without going aftermarket. Hopefully something affordable that won't void any warranty.

Not sure why everybody bashes the 20k price. TBH people dont need all those frivolous extras. Add the 2.0 engine for a measly 1000 (the biggest upgrade IMO outside maybe AWD, which is also sort of a "need" basis), and you're at 22500 including destination. You dont need more, unless you really NEED that towing package or something.

I get the destination charge is a profit add, but it's standard across the industry, so what are you gonna do. I dont really get Americans predilection with overpriced "fully loaded" trims.
First post on this thread that makes sense. I am one who doesn't mind the lack of cruise on the XL. I have vehicles with and without it. Yes I use it, but I don't really mind going without it. Hell, I've been driving my old Chevy pickup with manual brakes and steering for a year or so now, just because I love driving the thing. Its amazing what you can live without when you don't get caught up in the audacity of doing so.

Even going for an XLT with the EcoBoost and some options, you can still come out quite a bit cheaper than the Hyundai or a midsize truck.

This is an entry level vehicle, not a rival for Lexus.

Let's all keep in mind that a speed control which is able to maintain a steady speed both up and down hills is not adaptive. Adaptive speed control is able to slow a vehicle down if coming upon traffic and adapt to specific driving conditions.
The standard speed control in all hybrids I have owned, including Ford, are able to maintain their selected speed down hill. They will not "adapt" to traffic conditions. Older ICE vehicles often we not because in an effort to increase fuel economy, they would allow the vehicle to coast when decelerating.
Hybrid vehicles are very different in that they rely heavily on electricity regeneration to the battery to increase efficiency. When you use the speed control and head downhill, the system wants to regenerate electricity, not coast. This is what they are programmed to do.
I hope this makes sense.

For a Hybrid or EV to NOT come standard with Cruise is idiotic...

Going to a XLT means you loose the steel wheels and get the orange interior highlights, which I much prefer over the ugly aluminum ones that offer and the orange looks tacky...

I did a pre order but dove deeper and for me this is a deal breaker. I'd rather loose power windows/locks/remote radio controls and have cruise on this truck....

The only reason I'd want a XLT is the cruise, and the negatives for me are pretty high.

Hopefully this will push someone to make a reasonably priced small truck that gets decent MPG (or all electric) that has cruise...

Going to a XLT means you loose the steel wheels and get the orange interior highlights, which I much prefer over the ugly aluminum ones that offer and the orange looks tacky...

I did a pre order but dove deeper and for me this is a deal breaker. I'd rather loose power windows/locks/remote radio controls and have cruise on this truck....

The only reason I'd want a XLT is the cruise, and the negatives for me are pretty high.

Hopefully this will push someone to make a reasonably priced small truck that gets decent MPG (or all electric) that has cruise...
You do realize aftermarket cruise control can be added inexpensively, right? I have a shop in my town that does it all the time.

I plan on using mine for alot of travel. as one who has travelled cross country numerous times, some W/O cruise, it was a must. So no cruise immediately disqualified the XL. not that it mattered a whole lot, for me, my expected use, and my preferences, the XLT W Lux Package was the way to go/

I cannot say if this will be true for the Maverick, but it has been up to this point. But in done ways, it makes me even more angry about the cruise issue.
The Cruise is a lie. It's just a software change and a switch.
Since Ford started using fly-by-wire, meaning no throttle cable around 2004 maybe earlier, the cruise function can be added simply by adding a steering wheel with the buttons and enabling the cruise function in the PCM.
This does not go give you anything except the basic cruise functions.

Again, I don't know if this is still true but think I read somewhere that it is still possible on bronco sport, but should be.
Also, I don't know if anyway to add aftermarket cruise control to these vehicles unless they also change out the wheel to add the switches and reprogram. The old cable ones will not work.

If anyone has recent experience on this issue with Escape hybrid, please do chime in.

The aftermarket ones you drill a hole in the steering column to mount and the control box piggybacks a few connections like the brakes, accelerator position sensor, and CAN at the OBDII connector. Doing a steering wheel swap and enabling via FORSCAN is much cleaner, IMO.

Maybe its the lack of ability to see how a Hybrid should always have Cruise Control. If for missed that....I really don't want to find out what else they missed 5.5 years or 81,000 miles into it. Its just a no brainer to have it with a hybrid.

The Civic VX got upwards of 55 MPG, had power brakes, ac, airbags and a radio, but nothing else. The point to those cars (and to me any EV/Hybrid) is high MPG before comfort...

Maybe its the lack of ability to see how a Hybrid should always have Cruise Control. If for missed that....I really don't want to find out what else they missed 5.5 years or 81,000 miles into it. Its just a no brainer to have it with a hybrid.

The Civic VX got upwards of 55 MPG, had power brakes, ac, airbags and a radio, but nothing else. The point to those cars (and to me any EV/Hybrid) is high MPG before comfort...
Good example: If someone is into hypermiling, (which I am not, I'm not that patient) cruise control is a huge detriment to maximum fuel efficiency.

Good example: If someone is into hypermiling, (which I am not, I'm not that patient) cruise control is a huge detriment to maximum fuel efficiency.
I "hypermile" my leaf all the time... And it has Cruise, which I use when on open road.

I read up on the escape hybrid due to people mentioning it, they also did a "plug in" escape that would go 30 miles or so on full EV....

:)

I have no idea what it would’ve cost Ford to have cruise std on the XL, but my guess it would be at least $100 and when the bean counters told Ford execs the XL base with cruise it would be $20,295….Ford said huh ? Way too close to $19,999 for us not to make minor adjustments to reap so much advertising thunder with a base price under $20,000. Bean counters then said we can eliminate the cruise control and charge $1495 for destination instead of $1295 and…..voila..$19,995 base price.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.