Ford Maverick Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Gotcha. We're looking at ways to do it without going aftermarket. Hopefully something affordable that won't void any warranty.
Affordable, probably. The hardware difference should only be the two steering wheel switch packs which (as long as they're not radically different from the new Fiesta/Mustang/Ranger/etc) should be swappable without taking the whole wheel out. The switches were ~$50/side for the Escape.

But programming everything to play nice might complicate the warranty situation. At a minimum, the instrument panel and steering column control module need an edit to their as-built configuration, possibly the BCM as well. It's all doable with an ELM cable and FORScan, but I've never edited a car that was still under warranty.

I agree with many, its not about anything technical or cost to add it, if they were worried about the cost or hitting the $20k, they could have packaged with pilot360 by adding the cost to it. They would have had more people buy the XL, but loss the XLS sales. As most said, they want to push people to the higher trims, which makes business sense. From these discussions, it seems like it worked. I see great value, so this will be my 1st Ford product. Since I don't drive much on highway, at least not long periods, I don't need cruise 99% of time.

Sure you can get a work around on the cruise control if you're handy for around $300 to self-install. But, the bigger issue I have is that Ford went the cheapskate route and didn't include Cruise Control at ALL, not even as an added option, on the XL.
I can't even imagine what they were thinking at the administrative levels to have this make monetary sense.
Either way, they lost a customer due to this but there were other factors as well.
Hybrid is a royal pita to get, sure you can get the Ecotec but good luck getting the Hybrid unless you ordered early.
Costs are another factor. You can get a very well equipped vehicle with cruise, adaptive cruise control, many other goodies that the budget Ford Maverick XL doesn't have for about the same costs or cheaper if you factor in all the fees and such. I know, it's the route I opted for....
I have a 21 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab and we were going to go with the Maverick as our more daily commuter but with all things considered, it was a better route going with a 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback. 32city/41highway in a non-hybrid, 2 year maintenance free, local dealer less than 8 miles away, and lifetime powertrain warranty for free due to that. It was a no-brainer for us but again, that's because we DO already have the Ranger. It's a tougher choice if you're trying to just get ONE vehicle that has it all.

Having worked in way too many places, this is generally how it works:
Offer a "entry level" option. It has the lowest margin. 20K - usually 'bargain basement' with limited features.
Offer a "complete" option (fully loaded, this thing is $35K+ - First Edition w Gas, AWD, FX4, Tow Package) but has the highest margin.

Now, you offer the 'decoy' trim - somewhere in the middle, but priced high enough the "complete" option isn't a huge jump, but it has common features people want, but still lacks a lot compared to the full model. It will come in around 30K or so.

This is common in most retail establishments. It makes that $5k look like a 'doable' option for what amounts to another $35/mo in the payment (which is the phrasing they will use - "you can handle the extra $35 a month, right?". It's the old 'this is too basic', 'that has what I need', and the 'its only a little more, so why not go all out?' thing. It's a subtle 'dark pattern' thing. As a side note, this is also why many fast food places ask "medium or large", then say "you could go large for 40 cents more" to push you to the higher margin item, and never mention the 'small' anymore.
When there are 3 options to choose, the one in the middle usually is chosen.

It's easy to turn on factory cruise. Buy the left and right steering wheel switches or whole steering wheel with switches already installed.( Make sure you buy the correct wheel with the options you have like 360), buy the latest forscan cable, change a few settings and you have factory cruise. Ford could make good money if they would add it as an accessory.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.