Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m between the XLT and the Lariat but either one I’d get the FX4 and towing package for the skid plates and tow hooks transmission cooler, shorter drive ratio etc. There’s a 1.5” spacer set for the Bronco sport that I bet will make it’s way here. Let’s say I put that on, and put on tires that were 1.5” or so larger as well, would I actually have a decent off-roader or not a great solution? I don’t want anything hardcore but I want to go down some trails in Colorado and Utah that could require some decent clearance and maneuvering. I have no experience in this so if it’s not worth the trouble I’ll leave it stock.
Any potential issues you could see? Or suggestions? New suspension with greater travel? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
342 Posts
So I’m between the XLT and the Lariat but either one I’d get the FX4 and towing package for the skid plates and tow hooks transmission cooler, shorter drive ratio etc. There’s a 1.5” spacer set for the Bronco sport that I bet will make it’s way here. Let’s say I put that on, and put on tires that were 1.5” or so larger as well, would I actually have a decent off-roader or not a great solution? I don’t want anything hardcore but I want to go down some trails in Colorado and Utah that could require some decent clearance and maneuvering. I have no experience in this so if it’s not worth the trouble I’ll leave it stock.
Any potential issues you could see? Or suggestions? New suspension with greater travel? Thanks in advance
Hey @Midwestpilot welcome to the forum! I think that kind of setup for the Maverick would be pretty good for handling some trails. Like most things with the Maverick the Bronco Sport is a good comparison and for a SUV its size it's pretty good on trails/off road.

Since the Maverick has almost the same ground clearance as the Bronco Sport Badlands (8.6 inches vs. 8.8 inches) I think the potential is there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can make anything work, but part of the appeal to me of the Maverick is that its not as tall as the Ranger.

Resale value on modified cars tends to be abysmal due to lack of trust that the modifications were done well and won't hurt the reliability of the vehicle, so you're sometimes lucky to even get a stock vehicle's value yet alone pay for the parts and labor that you put into the mods.

As such, I'd take a look at the new Ranger Tremor first. Remember, total cost of ownership is purchase price minus resale price, so something more expensive can end up cheaper if its resale is higher.

Once you lift a Maverick, its almost the same size as a Ranger.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can make anything work, but part of the appeal to me of the Maverick is that its not as tall as the Ranger.

Resale value on modified cars tends to be abysmal due to lack of trust that the modifications were done well and won't hurt the reliability of the vehicle, so you're sometimes lucky to even get a stock vehicle's value yet alone pay for the parts and labor that you put into the mods.

As such, I'd take a look at the new Ranger Tremor first. Remember, total cost of ownership is purchase price minus resale price, so something more expensive can end up cheaper if its resale is higher.

I wonder if lift kits for the Bronco Sport could work with the Maverick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah, I get that but the top spec lariat Ranger is nearly 48k with the tremor package and a lariat Maverick is 33500ish out the door at my dealership. A 1.5inch lift and some new tires and new shocks would be around 2k at a professional shop, and I’m planning on running this thing into the ground. I love the idea of the tremor but it’s too rich for my blood. Plus I want lane centering steering and stop and go cruise which the ranger does not have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if lift kits for the Bronco Sport could work with the Maverick.

I was kinda wondering the same. I’m thinking I’ll give it 6 months or so and see what develops out there before trying anything

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey @Midwestpilot welcome to the forum! I think that kind of setup for the Maverick would be pretty good for handling some trails. Like most things with the Maverick the Bronco Sport is a good comparison and for a SUV its size it's pretty good on trails/off road.

Since the Maverick has almost the same ground clearance as the Bronco Sport Badlands (8.6 inches vs. 8.8 inches) I think the potential is there.

Super helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep in mind this is an AWD system found in the Escape. It only has a single speed transfer case. It’s not going to be as capable as a Ranger, Tacoma, etc.
I definitely don’t need Tacoma levels, but interesting to hear that for someone learning. Do you think it’ll have more capability with the gearing change on the tow package? And I’m getting the tow package for upgraded transmission/engine cooling etc. mostly the game plan is to take this on back trails that have high clearance requirements mud sand etc but no insane rock crawling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm confident the AWD + FX4 package will be sufficient for my property in West Texas. I grew up on rougher terrain, with a couple of steep washed out sections, and we handled it just fine in a basic 1962 Chevy C-10.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts