Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to decide between the hybrid engine and the 2.0 ecoboost engine… I am also not familiar with Ford engines. Can anyone tell me if both of these engines have a timing belt or timing chain?

I swore to myself that I would never buy another vehicle with a timing belt, so if one has a belt and the other a chain, that will help make my decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am still trying to decide between the hybrid engine and the 2.0 ecoboost engine… I am also not familiar with Ford engines. Can anyone tell me if both of these engines have a timing belt or timing chain?

I swore to myself that I would never buy another vehicle with a timing belt, so if one has a belt and the other a chain, that will help make my decision.

Thanks!
Both engines have a timing chain. I look for cars with chains myself.

·
Registered
234 Posts
they are both good engines. If you want to tow and feel some more power go EcoBoost. If you want great MPG and very light duty towing go hybrid.

·
Registered
144 Posts
EcoBoosts are, on balance, very reliable and strong engines. The 2.0 has the exhaust manifold integrated into the head, which is a pretty major failure when it fails, but that seems to be the major problem part on this motor. They'll run better with premium gas, since they're forced induction and can take advantage of the higher octane to reduce knock. The hybrid NA lump doesn't need premium to be at its most powerful.

The 2.5L hybrid engine is not one I have experience with, but a buddy had a C-Max that he and his family put a lot of miles on, so... 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2 Posts
EcoBoosts are, on balance, very reliable and strong engines. The 2.0 has the exhaust manifold integrated into the head, which is a pretty major failure when it fails, but that seems to be the major problem part on this motor. They'll run better with premium gas, since they're forced induction and can take advantage of the higher octane to reduce knock. The hybrid NA lump doesn't need premium to be at its most powerful.

The 2.5L hybrid engine is not one I have experience with, but a buddy had a C-Max that he and his family put a lot of miles on, so... 🤷‍♂️
I have 90,000 on my 2013 C-max after all four of the injections replaced never had an Engine issue. No oil leaks as well. Still clean. But the Electric transmission/ traction motor the main bearing differential bearing failed Ford updated this for 2015 and the new unit used in lots of vehicles is rock solid. I can’t wait to get my Hybrid Maverick!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am leaning towards the Hybrid myself. im not sure I want to spend $1,000+ to upgrade my engine and then have to turn around and put premium gas in it. That is a double whammy to the pocket book. I don’t really think I will need the power. If I do any towing at all, it would be very light duty. Maybe small trailer with trash or landscaping equipment.

I can’t find anywhere if Ford also recommends premium im gas for the 2.5L hybrid set up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am leaning towards the Hybrid myself. im not sure I want to spend $1,000+ to upgrade my engine and then have to turn around and put premium gas in it. That is a double whammy to the pocket book. I don’t really think I will need the power. If I do any towing at all, it would be very light duty. Maybe small trailer with trash or landscaping equipment.

I can’t find anywhere if Ford also recommends premium im gas for the 2.5L hybrid set up?
I burn cheap gas is the c- max get 42 in the city and I beat the crap out of it got a extra set of studded snow tired never missed work tracks ions control and front wheel drive feels like a positive differential up there. If the snow is to deep I just stay home

·
Registered
46 Posts
The boosted 2.0 will happily run on 87 octane E10. It will not develop the HP/torque max values touted in the description, but will not self-destruct or do anything weird. It will just have less hp/torque. My take is there is more than enough of either for my driving, so I don't care. I expect to get better mileage than the EPA numbers as I feel confident in my driving style having positive effects. I have regularly, if not always, gotten better fuel econ than their numbers. Lotta years behind the wheel.
My trouble may result from the turbo not getting enough exercise.
tom

·
Registered
48 Posts

I have a 2020 Escape Hybrid with the same engine (slightly different electric motors). In the owner's manual:
"Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty. For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The
performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."
I have noticed in my hybrid that 1) putting in non-ethanol or premium fuel, the engine runs smoother when it kicks on, 2) putting in non-ethanol or premium fuel, my performance is better (engine is peppier), 3) putting in non-ethanol or premium fuel the engine, I get at least an extra 5 MPG on my commute back and forth to work. I tried regular, regular at top tier, premium, plus, and ethanol free. I am trying to hit Top Tier gas stations, and run premium when I can't find regular ethanol free. YMMV.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The boosted 2.0 will happily run on 87 octane E10. It will not develop the HP/torque max values touted in the description, but will not self-destruct or do anything weird. It will just have less hp/torque. My take is there is more than enough of either for my driving, so I don't care. I expect to get better mileage than the EPA numbers as I feel confident in my driving style having positive effects. I have regularly, if not always, gotten better fuel econ than their numbers. Lotta years behind the wheel.
My trouble may result from the turbo not getting enough exercise.
tom
this. I have an EcoBoost right now and it's never had premium in it since the day it was made. It's been fine. It's plenty fun to drive (with a 6 speed behind it, the EcoSport took the same engine I have and ruined it with an automatic), and gets reasonable mileage. OP will be happy with either option as long as they don't want to tow heavy loads or go off road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts