Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these do it yourself bike racks where the front tire is removed and the forks are secured in the rack. I plan on taking one or two bikes out frequently, and was thinking I could leave the front wheels connected and just turn the handlebars to save space, then tie down the bikes.

Would there be any issues doing it this way?

·
Registered
97 Posts
It might be worthwhile to get a couple of those upright bike racks that mount on top of a car and just install them in the truck bed. You'd have to have the tailgate down when there are bikes in them, but it should work. Might even be able to hook up a quick detach mechanism like on the roof mount ones that connect to crossbars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the tailgate pad. I have the Raceface small pad on my '02 Ranger (still slightly wider than the tailgate) and all you have to do is toss the bike over the gate and velcro strap it. I'm thinking about getting the Evoc 2 bike pad for my Maverick. I try to ride gravel or MTB three times a week and this is the most convenient way to carry a bike.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My husband is a longer distance cyclist (somewhere around 10k miles per year) so he rides a recumbent bicycle, which is longer than a standard touring bike. We're pretty sure he's going to have to stick with a hitch mount bicycle rack if he wants to have room for his gear and tools in the truck bed. Plus, honestly, it's probably just easier to unstrap the bike from the rack, and ride it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need to transport the maximum # of bikes possible on a Maverick - and the hybrid, so low hitch tongue capacity. I think a tailgate pad is the way to go, and I see the pic with 3. How many more bikes do you think would fit on there? 2? 3?

I'm in Europe at the moment so no Mavericks available to try this out with. And I'm hoping to arrange to purchase it online before we move back.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I need to transport the maximum # of bikes possible on a Maverick - and the hybrid, so low hitch tongue capacity. I think a tailgate pad is the way to go, and I see the pic with 3. How many more bikes do you think would fit on there? 2? 3?

I'm in Europe at the moment so no Mavericks available to try this out with. And I'm hoping to arrange to purchase it online before we move back.
It's probably going to depend more on the width of the pedals on each of the bikes than anything else, I think. Plus whether you care if the bikes rub against each other. So, maybe three adult bikes??? We were looking at the pad until we realized that the pad will cover the backup camera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I see 3 (what look like adult bikes) in the pic. I was hoping to get 5 or 6. I could take the pedals off. That's not a bad idea actually.

The other thing I was considering is if I could use a tailgate pad AND a hitch rack (lower weight one), but I think the hitch rack would not come out far enough to allow the front wheels of the bikes to fit.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Is the hitch tongue capacity lower on the hybrid? I don't think there are any mechanical differences between that and the 2.0 w/4k where the hitch is concerned. The differences are more about cooling and the powertrain. As far as I can tell the hitch capacity is 400 lbs for all Mavericks, but I haven't been able to find a definitive statement anywhere and I'm genuinely curious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the hitch tongue capacity lower on the hybrid? I don't think there are any mechanical differences between that and the 2.0 w/4k where the hitch is concerned. The differences are more about cooling and the powertrain. As far as I can tell the hitch capacity is 400 lbs for all Mavericks, but I haven't been able to find a definitive statement anywhere and I'm genuinely curious.
It's a good question that I've also been trying to answer. Tongue capacity is usually 10% of towing capacity. So since the towing capacity is less on the hybrid, from what I can read online and according to at least on dealer I've been emailing, the tongue capacity is reduced on the Hybrid accordingly. However, I've also struggled to confirm this. I'm not an expert on the science, but I would have thought as you did - that it should be 400 lbs for all Mavericks.

If that was true, it would solve my problem bc there are plenty of hitch racks that can carry 6 bikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.