Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these do it yourself bike racks where the front tire is removed and the forks are secured in the rack. I plan on taking one or two bikes out frequently, and was thinking I could leave the front wheels connected and just turn the handlebars to save space, then tie down the bikes.

Would there be any issues doing it this way?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would the truck bed be long enough? I think the distance from the rear tire to the front fork may be longer than the truck bed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would the truck bed be long enough? I think the distance from the rear tire to the front fork may be longer than the truck bed.
I was thinking I could open the tailgate at a 45 degree angle to fit the bikes in the bed. Then turn the front wheel of the bikes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It might be worthwhile to get a couple of those upright bike racks that mount on top of a car and just install them in the truck bed. You'd have to have the tailgate down when there are bikes in them, but it should work. Might even be able to hook up a quick detach mechanism like on the roof mount ones that connect to crossbars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the tailgate pad. I have the Raceface small pad on my '02 Ranger (still slightly wider than the tailgate) and all you have to do is toss the bike over the gate and velcro strap it. I'm thinking about getting the Evoc 2 bike pad for my Maverick. I try to ride gravel or MTB three times a week and this is the most convenient way to carry a bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My husband is a longer distance cyclist (somewhere around 10k miles per year) so he rides a recumbent bicycle, which is longer than a standard touring bike. We're pretty sure he's going to have to stick with a hitch mount bicycle rack if he wants to have room for his gear and tools in the truck bed. Plus, honestly, it's probably just easier to unstrap the bike from the rack, and ride it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts