Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this question is for existing truck owner with experience. How would the fuel economy be affected by adding bed cover or cap. I would think tonneau cover would make the truck little more aerodynamic, leading to improved mpg. Bed cap may make it worse or same as not having anything. I will probably get the tonneau cover eventually based on my needs but was curious.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There's a youtube comparison that's fairly interesting. Maybe by Fast Lane Truck? I'm not where I have time to search it out, but it's one of the regular vehicle reviewers...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ah an extension of the exhaustive tailgate up down scientific studies

I have more than a passing familiarity with aerodynamics and the true answer is that it’s complicated

if you do a search here ecomodder.com you can find various threads on the topic

Generally What Willie says can be true especially the higher toppers dropping economy 20% or more.

Reality is it depends on the beds length and the shape of the front of the truck.
In general a traditional topper is about 5% less efficient than a tonneau cover.
Compared to the bare bed it’s hard for a lay person to see 2-3% of fuel economy change either way.

Oddly a strange half bed tonneau adds about 10% economy

There are also toppers that improve highway economy 20% lots of reading on this subject elsewhere
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah an extension of the exhaustive tailgate up down scientific studies

I have more than a passing familiarity with aerodynamics and the true answer is that it’s complicated

if you do a search here ecomodder.com you can find various threads on the topic

Generally What Willie says can be true especially the higher toppers dropping economy 20% or more.

Reality is it depends on the beds length and the shape of the front of the truck.
In general a traditional topper is about 5% less efficient than a tonneau cover.
Compared to the bare bed it’s hard for a lay person to see 2-3% of fuel economy change either way.

Oddly a strange half bed tonneau adds about 10% economy

There are also toppers that improve highway economy 20% lots of reading on this subject elsewhere View attachment 1788
Who makes the cover in your last picture?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Who makes the cover in your last picture?
you mean made.

Long ago A guy that called himself Bondo made them during the midst of the last fuel crisis, my guess is those became unobtainium in 2012 but I’m having trouble finding out for certain as he wanted to go from low production to mass production.

Currently this place

Makes something similar
(but much more expensive)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts