Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on my way home today (I live in Germany) and thought, "Dang that looks a lot like the truck I ordered. It has a crew cab and a small bed." Apparently they made them with 2.0 and 3.0 diesels. They also appear to be considerably more expensive than the Maverick. Thought it was neat so I am sharing. The call it an AMAROK. First one I have noticed.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
261 Posts
It looks a lot like the Maverick and the Diesel puts the MPG at 36 .
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

I Definitely like the front grill much better than whats on the Maverick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess this is just further evidence that beauty's in the eye of the beholder. We're all different and I know other's opinions on aesthetics are just as valid as mine. To each their own!

For me, I find the face of this VW bland at best and leaning heavily toward ugly. In my opinion, there are other examples of manufacturer's seemingly content with putting together a run-of-the-mill sedan or suv type grill on their pickups. Like the Chevy Montana,
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

or the Honda RIdgeline,
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

or even the Hyundai Santa Cruz whose front end looks a lot like their new SUV's.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate

I love the boxy, blunter, more squared off lines on the Maverick's front end that manages to look both unique yet still scream "truck."
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Window

·
Registered
63 Posts
The VW Amarok is really more a Ranger competitor as it's the same size as one, has a body-on-frame construction, front engine rear drive. In fact, the coming next-gen Ranger and Amarok will share the same platform as Ford and VW are collaborating on it. We won't be getting an Amarok in the US....ever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 50mpg 5mt Diesel VW Rabbit Pickup with the std cab long box is the vehicle I would most enjoy seeing modernized especially if they left it NA, Manual and diesel

that combination made them cheap to repair and for the time reliable

·
Registered
107 Posts
Curse the chicken tax to death
Does ford avoid the chicken tax with the Maverick somehow? Maybe being built in Mexico there is an exception for vehicles manufactured and shipped to America as apart of the United States-Mexico-Canada (trade) Agreement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does ford avoid the chicken tax with the Maverick somehow? Maybe being built in Mexico there is an exception for vehicles manufactured and shipped to America as apart of the United States-Mexico-Canada (trade) Agreement.
Unibody, 4 doors and “finished “ in the US should avoid the chicken tax,

Don’t remember specifics but doesn’t the truck have to be under a certain size for the tax to take effect as well ?

Also NAFTAmay affect slightly

·
Registered
63 Posts
The "chicken tax" does not apply to NAFTA countries. Why Toyota, Ford and Chevrolet manufacture or have manufactured trucks there for import.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was first drawn to the Mav because of the price and platform, but after seeing the rest of the segment, now I like it for the styling too. The rest don't look like trucks and the Chevy is just awful. Like, how did that get through so many meetings and committees? How did so many people approve the Montana and no one spoke up or open-palmed slapped anyone across the face? I got a chuckle out of the Hyundai when I first saw it because it looks like a running shoe, but now it looks reasonable by comparison. The VW isn't awful, but it's way too practical for US markets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was first drawn to the Mav because of the price and platform, but after seeing the rest of the segment, now I like it for the styling too. The rest don't look like trucks and the Chevy is just awful. Like, how did that get through so many meetings and committees? How did so many people approve the Montana and no one spoke up or open-palmed slapped anyone across the face? I got a chuckle out of the Hyundai when I first saw it because it looks like a running shoe, but now it looks reasonable by comparison. The VW isn't awful, but it's way too practical for US markets.
Agree with this. The Maverick looks like a normal little truck, like the Rangers and S10s did back in the day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the Chevy is just awful. Like, how did that get through so many meetings and committees? How did so many people approve the Montana and no one spoke up or open-palmed slapped anyone across the face?
The Maverick is mid size and not in the same market space as a compact truck.
In fact there is no compact truck US market.

The Chevy is a off the shelf parts bin $9999 compact Frankentruck for a foreign market

If it were in our market and the same $9999 I would guess it might sell even better than theMaverick solely Because nothing exists in that price bracket

Admittedly it’s front end could easily be made more attractive with simple sheet metal changes but it’s cost would go up and economy go down.

None of the other foreign compact trucks will ever see our shores so no point worrying about it anyway

1 - 13 of 13 Posts