Ford Maverick Forum banner

should i buy....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new Maverick in June, XLT, FX4, Luxury package. I "paid" sticker with no fees, and put $500 down.

It is scheduled to be built the second week of november.

When I ordered the truck, our primary vehicle was a minivan. In between, we sold the van for more than we paid for it new 50,000 miles ago (thanks Vroom!), and got a good deal on a Subaru Ascent.

Some of the reasons I wanted the truck were to do the things the van couldn't do, namely AWD as I live in the North. We don't "need" two cars most of the time, so for the time being, I'm driving the Ascent, dropping off two big kids (11/8), while my wife stays home with our 2 year twins.

I'd like my own car, can pay cash, and have garage space. I'm just not convinced the Maverick is the right choice.

In the past I've owned a mustang GT, a Focus ST (honestly more fun than the GT), and a VW GTI (my favorite).

I have the opportunity to buy a low mileage MK 7 GT (a 2017 Sport with only 3,000 miles ) for $25k. It's a lot for a 4.5 year old car, but compared to new, it is a good deal.

Obviously the GTI can't do things the truck can....any insight would be much appreciated. I'm also considering not buying anything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ordered a new Maverick in June, XLT, FX4, Luxury package. I "paid" sticker with no fees, and put $500 down.

It is scheduled to be built the second week of november.

When I ordered the truck, our primary vehicle was a minivan. In between, we sold the van for more than we paid for it new 50,000 miles ago (thanks Vroom!), and got a good deal on a Subaru Ascent.

Some of the reasons I wanted the truck were to do the things the van couldn't do, namely AWD as I live in the North. We don't "need" two cars most of the time, so for the time being, I'm driving the Ascent, dropping off two big kids (11/8), while my wife stays home with our 2 year twins.

I'd like my own car, can pay cash, and have garage space. I'm just not convinced the Maverick is the right choice.

In the past I've owned a mustang GT, a Focus ST (honestly more fun than the GT), and a VW GTI (my favorite).

I have the opportunity to buy a low mileage MK 7 GT (a 2017 Sport with only 3,000 miles ) for $25k. It's a lot for a 4.5 year old car, but compared to new, it is a good deal.

Obviously the GTI can't do things the truck can....any insight would be much appreciated. I'm also considering not buying anything.
If you like sporty with lots of pep the Eco is a great choice. My new Lariat drives sweet, great steering responce and Fast. Plus after 340mi I'm geting 43mpg hwy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Has anybody received a hybrid as of today? I got tired of waiting and bought a Santa Cruz for my personal use around town. So my wife decided she liked it better then her 2016 RAV 4 Limited and drove it out to Kansas (1200 miles) to see our daughter and decided she wanted it for herself. I was not going to fight that battle.

Now I still have a Hybrid Lariat on order since the fist day Mavericks could be ordered in June. No vin or build date yet.

I'm getting this gut feeling there is something wrong with this built other than a EPA delay. Where are the Hybrids that are already built. Have they shipped or are they still on hold in a warehouse in Mexico?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Until the supply chain gets fixed there is going to be almost no risk to accepting delivery of the Maverick. You wont loose the depreciation that would normally be expected. We bought a Hyundai Palisade Limited in February 2021, we put 13k miles on it this year, have a chip in the windshield and a dealer just offered us more than we "paid" (it's a lease) for it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Until the supply chain gets fixed there is going to be almost no risk to accepting delivery of the Maverick. You wont loose the depreciation that would normally be expected. We bought a Hyundai Palisade Limited in February 2021, we put 13k miles on it this year, have a chip in the windshield and a dealer just offered us more than we "paid" (it's a lease) for it.
I would like to have my Hybrid sooner than later because I have a 2016 RAV4 Limited with all the options and 35k miles that is worth a lot of money right now. Maybe not so much in the spring while the price of the Maverick hopefully will be the same.

There is one bright side, Ford sent me a email explaining my patience will be rewarded with a bag of LEGO's after I take delivery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your Rav4 is still going to be worth a lot of money in a year. This supply chain issue is not going to be resolved for quite some time. I would weigh the expected decrease in value of your Rav4 (perhaps 1 or 2k) against whatever additional costs are involved in buying a new car now (especially with dealership markups). The additional money gained by your Rav4 might be diluted by the additional costs of the current car market. I know it stinks to have to wait, but the price of the Hybrid Maverick speaks volumes.

The real question is what vehicle do you actually want? The fact that you have access to a Santa Cruz means you already have a small truck(ish) vehicle. Is there a vehicle you want more? If so, is it available on the market right now at a decent price? There are some vehicles right now that are available but are selling with a 20 - 30% markup.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Your Rav4 is still going to be worth a lot of money in a year. This supply chain issue is not going to be resolved for quite some time. I would weigh the expected decrease in value of your Rav4 (perhaps 1 or 2k) against whatever additional costs are involved in buying a new car now (especially with dealership markups). The additional money gained by your Rav4 might be diluted by the additional costs of the current car market. I know it stinks to have to wait, but the price of the Hybrid Maverick speaks volumes.

The real question is what vehicle do you actually want? The fact that you have access to a Santa Cruz means you already have a small truck(ish) vehicle. Is there a vehicle you want more? If so, is it available on the market right now at a decent price? There are some vehicles right now that are available but are selling with a 20 - 30% markup.
Have you seen gas prices recently? I wanted the Hybrid for future price gouging but needed a small truck with good gas mileage " hence the Santa Cruz" because my 16 year old car was getting to the end of it's life. I would have never guessed my wife would be crazy about a Hyundai. I do have to admit it is a nice riding and comes standard with all the safety features that cost extra on the Maverick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you seen gas prices recently? I wanted the Hybrid for future price gouging but needed a small truck with good gas mileage " hence the Santa Cruz" because my 16 year old car was getting to the end of it's life. I would have never guessed my wife would be crazy about a Hyundai. I do have to admit it is a nice riding and comes standard with all the safety features that cost extra on the Maverick.
If you ask me, you're not going to find a better-priced hybrid. Even having to wait 6 months to a year for the truck and paying the gas premium on driving the 16' Rav4 you'll save money in the long term (so long as gas continues to climb). In my opinion, hold out for the Maverick. There is nothing else on the market that even resembles the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of that little truck.

Reactions: Schobz

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you ask me, you're not going to find a better-priced hybrid. Even having to wait 6 months to a year for the truck and paying the gas premium on driving the 16' Rav4 you'll save money in the long term (so long as gas continues to climb). In my opinion, hold out for the Maverick. There is nothing else on the market that even resembles the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of that little truck.
All I want to see is some of the Maverick Hybrids out on public roads and forum members giving unbiased feed back on reliability of the drivetrain and powered options. We have no real world data from customers on trucks off the assembly line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
All I want to see is some of the Maverick Hybrids out on public roads and forum members giving unbiased feed back on reliability of the drivetrain and powered options. We have no real world data from customers on trucks off the assembly line.
True. But we have feedback in regards to the Escape Hybrid which uses the same powertrain. And there are quite a few 2.0L mavericks now. Between those 2 reviews you should be able to get a good picture about the vehicle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
True. But we have feedback in regards to the Escape Hybrid which uses the same powertrain. And there are quite a few 2.0L mavericks now. Between those 2 reviews you should be able to get a good picture about the vehicle.
I've been around a long time and worked in Research and Development of Wankel Engines and Electric Drive for Shipboard applications. The one thing I have learned is comparisons of one platform to another usually doesn't translate well in real world applications. The Maverick Hybrid has a reengineered version of the Escape Hybrid drivetrain that no consumer, I'm aware of, has tested on the highway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Even with the 2.0 EB there is nothing that resembles the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of that (AWD) little truck. Aside from the super rare Diesels that can achieve 30 MPG but also costs 2X as much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts