Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer is closed on a Sunday. So, my wife and I drove to the next town over. With traffic, that was a 40 minute drive.

We walked into the dealer and said we were interested in possibly ordering a maverick. The sales guy asked if we knew what we wanted. I replied that I know exactly what I want.

XLT, Hybrid, Gunmetal Gray, Ford Co-Pilot. Nothing else. I said we were looking for 4% below invoice pricing because I heard others (on this forum) were getting that. He giggled, said "I don't think we can do that" and walked away.

He returned two minutes later with a printout showing the exact MSRP from the build tool, $24,315.

I was disappointed and asked if that was the best they could do and he said "yes."

Then, I asked about the ordering process and lead time. He said he would put my information into the system, place an order, and the truck would arrive in about 4 months. There was no deposit due. He said that I also wasn't obligated to buy the truck.

Then, the final quoted price included all taxes, plus a $799 processing fee. I asked if the fee was negotiable and he said no. While I was disappointed, I can tell you that I am feeling zero pressure to buy anything.

HERE'S MY QUESTION.... Why can't I just order the darn truck using an online portal? If they aren't going to negotiate anything, then why am I paying a processing fee? Why can't I just order the truck and have it delivered to my front door? The dealer provided absolutely no value add at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you suggesting I look up the price on the Nada website? I had the invoice price already pulled up on my phone. He didn't want to negotiate at all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not at all. I'm just trying to convey why there is no transparency when your try to buy a new vehicle. It's because NADA, short for National Automobile Dealers Association the powerful entity that is controlling how and who can sell new cars.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You could have ordered online but that ended 2-3 weeks ago....
Feel lucky that Ford is selling at MSRP they could be doing what Hyundai is doing..The Stealerships are adding $2000-$10,000 addendum on the base prices which were already higher than the Maverick

·
Registered
240 Posts
I will call other dealers tomorrow. One of them will beat this price.
MSRP probably not... But $799 processing maybe.. Good Luck!! Let us know

Reactions: A Ford

·
Registered
23 Posts
My local dealer is closed on a Sunday. So, my wife and I drove to the next town over. With traffic, that was a 40 minute drive.

We walked into the dealer and said we were interested in possibly ordering a maverick. The sales guy asked if we knew what we wanted. I replied that I know exactly what I want.

XLT, Hybrid, Gunmetal Gray, Ford Co-Pilot. Nothing else. I said we were looking for 4% below invoice pricing because I heard others (on this forum) were getting that. He giggled, said "I don't think we can do that" and walked away.

He returned two minutes later with a printout showing the exact MSRP from the build tool, $24,315.

I was disappointed and asked if that was the best they could do and he said "yes."

Then, I asked about the ordering process and lead time. He said he would put my information into the system, place an order, and the truck would arrive in about 4 months. There was no deposit due. He said that I also wasn't obligated to buy the truck.

Then, the final quoted price included all taxes, plus a $799 processing fee. I asked if the fee was negotiable and he said no. While I was disappointed, I can tell you that I am feeling zero pressure to buy anything.

HERE'S MY QUESTION.... Why can't I just order the darn truck using an online portal? If they aren't going to negotiate anything, then why am I paying a processing fee? Why can't I just order the truck and have it delivered to my front door? The dealer provided absolutely no value add at all.
New truck. They don't need to negotiate because they have overwhelming demand. In fact, I bet many dealers are hoping some buyers back out just so they can get some Mav's on their lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have seen a few low-ball dealer offers posted in the forums, but knowing how crazy the market is right now I just offered $500 above invoice + TTL, OTD. This was on the phone to a major dealer 75 miles away. Sales person gave the expected "Oh, we can't do that." I told her that 500 bucks on top of the dealer hold-back sounded like a decent profit for a dealer that just has to submit an order and hold the vehicle long enough for me to come and get it when it arrives. They also were getting a new customer. Of course, she had to take the offer to her boss somewhere in the back. She returned about a minute later and said they would take the deal. When I asked about fees, they quoted me about $330 for processing TTL. I objected and got the spiel about how they charge everyone the same amount so they couldn't give me a break on that. I refused to pay it and they told me they would give me a temp, and I would have to go to the DMV myself. Fine by me! I was willing to pay an amount that was probably not the best deal, but $500 is not that much in the long run, and it was worth it to me to avoid the usual all-day circus that typically happens. Being well-informed is key. Know exactly what you want, which saves them time, and makes them realize you're not a rube, and know exactly what you will be willing to pay. Stand firm. If they blow you off, walk. There are always other dealers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ordering a car direct from manufacturer is not really a thing. It's actually illegal in a lot of states. I'm not sure what the deal is. It would be nice though. Some dealerships seem to be swaying toward minimal inventory and ordering your car, but that will take time. I believe there is at least one dealership that will ship you the car (Long McArthur as long as you finance with them).

BTW - Tesla is the only car company that you can order direct from manufacturer currently.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Ask the dealer to put in writing and sign it that the $799 processing fee is not negotiable… If he/she does (and I bet your first truck payment they will not) your next stop is your states Attorney General.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just placed my order for an XLT carbonized gray at MSRP and with a processing fee. If the economy collapses i will negotiate lower.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ask the dealer to put in writing and sign it that the $799 processing fee is not negotiable… If he/she does (and I bet your first truck payment they will not) your next stop is your states Attorney General.
You want to be careful when you place bets!

I don't have my notes handy, but when I wanted to order a Maverick in June I spoke with four Ford dealers here in the "Live Free or Die" state.
Each one quoted me a different "administration fee" except for one which advertised no fees.

When I questioned one dealer I was told by my sales rep, "It's required by law!" which of course I checked, and to my surprise she was right, sort of.
The relevant law, which I don't have at my fingertips, states that IF a dealer charges one customer an "administration fee" then they must charge all customers the exact same amount.
The law does not require that a dealer charge an "administration fee" in the first place, however.

I'm not licensed to practice law in any state, but I think that here in NH, technically speaking, for a given transaction the "administration fee" is non-negotiable.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Dealerships provide an essential service and strive to make your auto purchase as pleasant and stress free as possible in a timely and efficient manner. They have a very knowledge staff that can answer any question you might ask and have an extensive inventory of vehicles to choose from and will offer the best possible deal.
True Story!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealerships provide an essential service and strive to make your auto purchase as pleasant and stress free as possible in a timely and efficient manner. They have a very knowledge staff that can answer any question you might ask and have an extensive inventory of vehicles to choose from and will offer the best possible deal.
True Story!
Is this sarcasm? I found the second dealer to be very helpful, but still wonder why I couldn't have placed the order myself without the middle man.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts