Ford Maverick Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don’t like the carpeted floors and cloth seats in the XL. I am looking for a cheap, practical, fuel efficient, low maintenance car. The Maverick is cheap as a sedan, practical thanks to the bed, and fuel efficient at 37mpg. The hybrid should reduce some maintenance like brake replacements, but could be more costly if the hybrid system fails.

For the interior, I would like something as easy to clean as a Bronco Black Diamond, but I don’t need the off roading abilities that make the Bronco more expensive, less fuel efficient, and less practical than the Maverick.

Unfortunately the Santa Cruz interior is even worse. They market it as an adventure vehicle, but if you come from the beach or the snow, you want to be able to get in you car and not worry about ruining the interior with the carpeted floors, glossy controls, and soft touch materials.
The hybrid system has an 8 year 100k warranty. So little worries there for a long time.

With the batteries below the back seat, not sure how safe it is to have hose out the interior. Maybe this is part of why there is carpet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
But I need to be able to put in 20-30 pairs (I do demos) the ability to put them in straight.
I hate to say it, but if you regularly travel with that many skis (and a trailer isn't viable), then the Maverick might not work for your needs. It stinks because it's not like you need the payload or towing capabilities of the longer trucks, but bed length is the big drawback on the Maverick.

·
Registered
193 Posts
But I need to be able to put in 20-30 pairs (I do demos) the ability to put them in straight.
Maybe you could you fabricate something to hold the skis in place with the tailgate down? There are slots for sheets of wood in the bed.

Edit. Maybe wrap your skis in large ski bags (I assume these exist) than tie them down in the bed? I assume 30 ski sets are fairly heavy but manageable. Never been skiing before 🎿 so I don’t know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The hybrid system has an 8 year 100k warranty. So little worries there for a long time.

With the batteries below the back seat, not sure how safe it is to have hose out the interior. Maybe this is part of why there is carpet.
The 12 V battery is below the seat in a compartment. The high-voltage battery is underneath the truck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't like that the 'signature lighting' above the headlights is only available on the Lariat. I get wanting to move people up to the next trim, but now its the same housing, just with a blank space instead of a $2 LED. Just seems stupid to me. Probably cost more in time to figure out what to do with the blank housing than just adding in the little LEDS
Probably costs more in terms of stocking both parts and performing changeovers than the cost of the part itself. I have worked in, as well as with, manufacture for several years and the lost time from making multiple versions of the same product is crazy. There is a line to where it is more expensive to add a part than to make a change over, but generally for things like LEDs, I would be willing to bet its far less about cost savings and more about differentiating trims. Too bad I will probably buying taillights and headlights from the Lariat to go on my XLT. Debating on trying to figure out if it is possible to add ACC and Push Button Start Aftermarket with FORscan and some Ford parts.

If it wasn't for the interior colors and a couple other little details I would have considered the upgrade to the Lariat Lux, but they had to pair it with that loud divisive color scheme. I would be out 40k on the Lariat from recovering seats and then still adding the tonneau and roof racks I want, and then I am in the range of considering the Santa Cruz Limited (love the looks and towing capacity, don't like the interior much, hate the dealers and the dealer markups.)

Reactions: Cmstillwell67

·
Registered
193 Posts
The 12 V battery is below the seat in a compartment. The high-voltage battery is underneath the truck.
Thanks for the correction

15:09 We lose an inch of the floor in back on hybrids across. I guess my brain filled in the reason because he never said it was the of battery. Just don’t understand why we lose an inch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I hate to say it, but if you regularly travel with that many skis (and a trailer isn't viable), then the Maverick might not work for your needs. It stinks because it's not like you need the payload or towing capabilities of the longer trucks, but bed length is the big drawback on the Maverick.
I don't regularly travel with that many but I do need the ability to...or at least be able to put the 4-8 pairs in straight which is very common. I don't need a full back seat, just a spot for boot bags and the dog from time to time. Hence is why a ext cab with a 6' bed. And this is why I mentioned it the "What I don't like about the Maverick" thread.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You could also order the bed extender or have the bed down and tie them down. Is that an option? I figure the tie downs could loop through something on the skis to keep them from sliding out.

·
Registered
2013 F150 (sold it already)
23 Posts
That is a lot of skis!!! I usually never have more than 4 pair, I don't have that many ski buddies, or seats. LOL.

You should get a bed extender. I have not decided whether to buy the ford extender, an aftermarket product, or make one like I have seen on pinterest. But whatever I do, I am going to add some type of nettings so that things don't slide through the holes.

I specifically bought this truck for ski trips because of the mileage and the front wheel drive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think and hope your right that the truck has a speed limiter for tow mode .
I'm not sure how you expect this would work. The above graphic refers to flat towing (i.e. towing the Maverick behind something else) and the reason for the 70mph limit is that without the engine running, it doesn't slosh lubrication around the transmission, which causes excessive heat buildup. Having a speed limiter for flat towing would just mean that the truck would try to drag itself away from whatever's towing it (at 70mph, possibly becoming a projectile if it manages to detach itself!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a few...
  1. Can't be flat towed
  2. Uses SYNC 3 - not SYNC 4
  3. Strange hole next to 8" display
  4. 8" display - should by 12"
  5. No air vents on the back center console
  6. FIT slots are only in the back seat (Should also in the front and and bed)
  7. Can't get 1st edition in Hot Pepper Red :-(
Aside from that this truck is AWESOME and I can't wait!
I have a few...
  1. Can't be flat towed
  2. Uses SYNC 3 - not SYNC 4
  3. Strange hole next to 8" display
  4. 8" display - should by 12"
  5. No air vents on the back center console
  6. FIT slots are only in the back seat (Should also in the front and and bed)
  7. Can't get 1st edition in Hot Pepper Red :-(
Aside from that this truck is AWESOME and I can't wait!
I don't understand why it cannot flat tow. Could you help me with that, please?

61 - 80 of 92 Posts