Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I like the way that looks and I also agree with 428PI. However, I'll try to be constructive because I'd like to see it done for the hell of it.

Going by the pictures you posted, here are some technical difficulties you'll likely face. Axles are the least of your worries especially if you're only looking for the cosmetics and not putting them under the stress of off-road abuse. And a failure there is less likely to kill you than this other stuff.

When you lift a Vehicle designed with essentially a passenger car strut style suspension much more than an inch, you'll have alignment issues. What needs to be adjusted will fall outside the factory allowable limits. Those problems will have to be fixed or you will have a vehicle that handles very poorly.... It will practically feel like it wants to drive into the ditch or the other lane at some point. You could study up on when alignment if you really want to know what happens, but it will affect every angle, camber, caster, toe, included angle..... Everything.
So, in the case of the front, you'll likely need redesigned lower control arms to allow the alignment to come within specs so as not to adversely affect handling. This includes dropping the steering rack so that bump steer doesn't become an issue. If the track isn't centered then the toe on the front can change drastically as you go over bumps..... Bump steer.
The rear on the 2WD Maverick is basically just a big swing axle. On most of those designs the rear alignment is even less adjustable than the front, sometimes not at all. As you raise the back end keep in mind that it is swinging from a fixed point and will basically swing forward, shortening your wheelbase slightly and changing the effective wheel alignment. To fix that you'd need to lengthen the swing arms and rotate the axle so the tire contact patch is close to original spec. That's hard to do with an assembly that's all welded together from the factory.
So, to come up with a large enough lift to fit those tires is going to take a bit of engineering and $$$.
Or... You can not care about any of that and screw up a vehicles driving dynamics. Just be prepared to ditch it, possibly roll it on a fire road. The handling may seem fine at first but it will be unpredictable.
I do think a leveling kit on the front and a slightly larger tire for the hybrid will be perfectly fine. Same goes for a little lowering kit etc... Should be allowable within the factory adjustments. But when you start doing more extreme stuff, please be prepared to spend the money to do it correctly.
Thanks for the suggestion and information. I am going to wait for the smallest lift kit possible without being to intrusive as well as the largest tires that will fit. I know that picture would be very hard to replicate 馃槄. Maybe in a few years when my Ford maverick gets built, I can try it out

Registered
Not rediculous. But perhaps wishful thinking. The front is typical FWD architecture. The rear end on just the hybrid and 2wd versions is a variant of the beam rear axle, but in the mav it is a twist link which uses directionally wound springs to counter suspension loads with force vectoring. In short, this means that when the suspension is placed under load the rear wheels are angled directionally to counteract the suspension action and keep the truck planted and driving in the direction the driver intends...so says ford. It does have conventional shocks though.

Front: CV axles can only been so much before they bind. I've seen a million front wheel drive cars modified so far beyond their design specification and still perform well. Raising any FWD is a simple as spacers on top of the struts. But at some point, usually not too far from original specification, the geometry of the front end would require expensive component replacement to maintain geometry. It's easy to figure out. Put a jack under the center of the front of the truck and start jacking it up and look at what the wheels do. Note: AWD versions have the same basic components layout as the hybrid. Swapping parts from an awd would net the same increased ride height, if it is indeed actually higher.

Rear: Simply getting longer springs and longer shocks would be a quick fix for the rear ride height. Or maybe even just some spacers on top of the springs. It should be super cheap and super easy. But it rarely is. A couple inches and you would have revised geometry to some degree, but if you don't go to a radically different ride height you may not even notice. If the rear has all the awd chassis attachment points in common with the awd, then you could swap in a complete awd rear end. But pics online show the awd is radically different. It would take putting both side by side and comparing mounts. Hopefully the differences are in bolt on brackets (cost savings by ford), but its possible the actual chassis is different from the factory. And swapping awd parts is not an option.

Rediculous this is not. Lots of us want the hybrid for other odd reasons...in my case service vehicles in Phoenix and Houston that can be left running ALL DAY with the ac on at minimal wear and expense. And using the 400w inverter to power landscape lighting jobs without worry that the vehicle battery is drained. Also, camping with power. 2,000 watt inverter tied to 12v battery fed by the high voltage battery...and endless battery capacity.

And for my personal vehicle a 33 mpg combined hybrid that I can duct the hvac to a rooftop rack mount tent and sleep in hvac comfort with minimal noise and expense all night long...while also being able to haul my ktm 450 to the wilds. I'd like a bit more clearance and mild mild offroading ability to get me to the campsites or riding areas, but am 100% opposed to giving up hybrid function to get awd.

So, valid arguements for a mild lift and tire swap exist. No other truck made can do what the Maverick will do for me. I've been wanting,and expressing my desire, for a Pri-ckup for a decade or more. Thanks Ford!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you do happen to do this, please post some pictures as I would love to see it.
Not rediculous. But perhaps wishful thinking. The front is typical FWD architecture. The rear end on just the hybrid and 2wd versions is a variant of the beam rear axle, but in the mav it is a twist link which uses directionally wound springs to counter suspension loads with force vectoring. In short, this means that when the suspension is placed under load the rear wheels are angled directionally to counteract the suspension action and keep the truck planted and driving in the direction the driver intends...so says ford. It does have conventional shocks though.

Front: CV axles can only been so much before they bind. I've seen a million front wheel drive cars modified so far beyond their design specification and still perform well. Raising any FWD is a simple as spacers on top of the struts. But at some point, usually not too far from original specification, the geometry of the front end would require expensive component replacement to maintain geometry. It's easy to figure out. Put a jack under the center of the front of the truck and start jacking it up and look at what the wheels do. Note: AWD versions have the same basic components layout as the hybrid. Swapping parts from an awd would net the same increased ride height, if it is indeed actually higher.

Rear: Simply getting longer springs and longer shocks would be a quick fix for the rear ride height. Or maybe even just some spacers on top of the springs. It should be super cheap and super easy. But it rarely is. A couple inches and you would have revised geometry to some degree, but if you don't go to a radically different ride height you may not even notice. If the rear has all the awd chassis attachment points in common with the awd, then you could swap in a complete awd rear end. But pics online show the awd is radically different. It would take putting both side by side and comparing mounts. Hopefully the differences are in bolt on brackets (cost savings by ford), but its possible the actual chassis is different from the factory. And swapping awd parts is not an option.

Rediculous this is not. Lots of us want the hybrid for other odd reasons...in my case service vehicles in Phoenix and Houston that can be left running ALL DAY with the ac on at minimal wear and expense. And using the 400w inverter to power landscape lighting jobs without worry that the vehicle battery is drained. Also, camping with power. 2,000 watt inverter tied to 12v battery fed by the high voltage battery...and endless battery capacity.

And for my personal vehicle a 33 mpg combined hybrid that I can duct the hvac to a rooftop rack mount tent and sleep in hvac comfort with minimal noise and expense all night long...while also being able to haul my ktm 450 to the wilds. I'd like a bit more clearance and mild mild offroading ability to get me to the campsites or riding areas, but am 100% opposed to giving up hybrid function to get awd.

So, valid arguements for a mild lift and tire swap exist. No other truck made can do what the Maverick will do for me. I've been wanting,and expressing my desire, for a Pri-ckup for a decade or more. Thanks Ford!
thanks I appreciate that. I don鈥檛 plan on being this radical, but do want squeeze some bigger tires and height into my hybrid whenever it comes.

Registered
thanks I appreciate that. I don鈥檛 plan on being this radical, but do want squeeze some bigger tires and height into my hybrid whenever it comes.

Well this is the beauty of the car culture. We have thoughts and feelings about our cars . They are as supremely different as we are as people. These passions are also what binds us and brings us together on forums like Maverick chat. Let us know how it turns out and the challenges and tips for us others to learn from.

Registered
After much searching, I have found this mock up. I鈥檒l have the hybrid FWD. I was wondering if anyone knows the max lift kit that can be added without major modifications? I鈥檝e never owned a FWD truck or hybrid so I don鈥檛 know the determine factors. Yes, I know it will decrease mpg, acceleration, and is not for off road. I like the look and would like to see how close I can get to this mock up within reason. Thanks!

Edit: No Trolls
Why ruin a good looking vehicle, not to mention void the warranty?

Registered
As someone who drives a 2" lifted Subaru Impreza hatchback, I'd love to see @ChallengerSRRT try lifting the Mav. Keep us posted! I'm not sure how much more complicated it will be than an EcoBoost Mav. I believe that the suspensions might be different.

If someone wants to void their warranty and mod their car it's their thing. There's lots of things people do to their cars that I find ridiculous, like lowering a truck, but if it makes them happy and they're aware of the consequences than more power to them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don鈥檛 think I would be voiding the warranty. I just want the largest tires that will fit at first. If it doesn鈥檛 increase the height to my preference I鈥檒l see what I can do to keep the warranty. My main post was just a mock up. Has anyone physically seen the maverick? I am only worried how short it will be. Thanks

Registered
I don鈥檛 think I would be voiding the warranty. I just want the largest tires that will fit at first. If it doesn鈥檛 increase the height to my preference I鈥檒l see what I can do to keep the warranty. My main post was just a mock up. Has anyone physically seen the maverick? I am only worried how short it will be. Thanks
I've been in one. I'm 5' 8" and it's easy to get into. Very car like and you definitely won't need nerf bars. It feels higher than say a Subaru Crosstrek though.

Largest tire you can do without a lift on the Bronco Sport (closest comparison to Maverick) with no rub is 245/65/17 according to this link:

You get almost an inch higher sidewall over a stock tire.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've been in one. I'm 5' 8" and it's easy to get into. Very car like and you definitely won't need nerf bars. It feels higher than say a Subaru Crosstrek though.

Largest tire you can do without a lift on the Bronco Sport (closest comparison to Maverick) with no rub is 245/65/17 according to this link:

You get almost an inch higher sidewall over a stock tire.
Yeah I鈥檓 dying to get into a floor model or ecoboost to see how it looks. I really like the height of a truck (not a car), but 245/65/17 with an offroad look may look nice. Thanks for that article.

Registered
It'll definitely look more aggressive. Someone posted this in the forum in that tire size. I'm a fan.

Honestly, I might just switch out my tires for Falken Wildpeak AT Trails when I get the truck if I could get a discount on them. I hear that you can trade them in at Discount Tire Center.

Registered
Mavrick XLT, 2001 Jeep Wrangler Rebelcon, 1975 StingRay, 1995 Dodge Ram 3500
I'm with 428PI, Your going to fuck up a perfectly good vehicle for cosmetic reasons.
I agree. It would look nicer as I am a 4x4 guy but in my case I would not do it because I have a lifted (7") Jeep Wrangler TJ already. I will let my Mavrick be for fuel economy.

Registered
2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS
Why ask a redundant question, let alone click on a thread about lifts, which you are clearly not keen on?

I love your pic though, I loved my '88 LSC. Never got to drive a Mark VIII.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts