Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Maverick; I am very impressed that Ford actually listened to the market. I was afraid that Ford was going to produce a car like wannabe product. Instead, while the Maverick is unitbody, it has sturdy integrated rear frame rails; the rear suspension looks very beefy, and it's simple and inexpensive. I love that the interior is handsome and simple, and her hard plastics are both durable and easy to clean. These types of vehicles abounded in the 80's; I never thought I would see a sturdy, simple, handsome, vehicle, ever brought to market again.

What I am wondering: how will the Maverick affect the rest of the market? A lot of compacts are well into the 20k range, and many of them have overstyled, bling, interiors. In my estimation, the Maverick will decimate the market. Consider. It's truck utility aside, it's a handsome hybrid 20k vehicle that gets 40mpg - which, in itself, makes it attractive. Throw the truck utility into the mix, and it's a sure sell.

Do you think other manufacturers might catch a clue, that not every consumer needs or wants upmarket feature content and bling in their "low end" vehicle offerings? Do you think the Maverick might drop the low end of the market down a notch?

Assuming that there aren't major quality glitches, it wouldn't surprise me if the Maverick becomes a top selling vehicle in the US.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dodge has the Ram 700 in production long enough that its in the second revision / generation . And its a pretty nice little truck but its not sold in this country yet . So I Believe that Ford is catching its queue from other companies not the other way around . If your patient and give this segment another two years , you will probably see at least four little trucks out there to choose from . And if Toyota is one of the companies that offers up a compact truck Ford will never have a chance of being number one in Sales or Quality . So for right now I think the people need patients .

And about the glitches , Ford better have made sure they got this E-CVT transmission right . We don't need to see the Maverick having the Freestyle’s problems .

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Maverick Hybrid has an E-CVT so no relation to the Ford Freestyle CVT, which was belt driven. The E-CVT has a Planetary Gearset with an Electric Motor to make up the constant speed transmission. Very similar to Toyotas Hybrid E-CVT Transmissions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dodge has the Ram 700 in production long enough that its in the second revision / generation . And its a pretty nice little truck but its not sold in this country yet . So I Believe that Ford is catching its queue from other companies not the other way around . If your patient and give this segment another two years , you will probably see at least four little trucks out there to choose from . And if Toyota is one of the companies that offers up a compact truck Ford will never have a chance of being number one in Sales or Quality . So for right now I think the people need patients .

And about the glitches , Ford better have made sure they got this E-CVT transmission right . We don't need to see the Maverick having the Freestyle’s problems .
Appreciate the info.

I am not too keen on the 700. What else do you expect the market to bring?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Maverick Hybrid has an E-CVT so no relation to the Ford Freestyle CVT, which was belt driven. The E-CVT has a Planetary Gearset with an Electric Motor to make up the constant speed transmission. Very similar to Toyotas Hybrid E-CVT Transmissions.
I am not meaning to be argumentative, but on Ford's literature, the E-CVT had no forward gear ratio's listed, which has me thinking it's a variable transmission.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Appreciate the info.

I am not too keen on the 700. What else do you expect the market to bring?
I think you’re going to see Chevy in the game possibly Subaru and a couple others bring back some thing they used to have like a brat and S10 . But they will have to be competitive and all should be a hybrid vehicle . I think the chicken tax that they put on imported trucks is really getting in the way .

·
Registered
107 Posts
What else do you expect the market to bring?
Seems that it would behoove Hyundai to add a Hybrid to the Santa Cruz to compete better since they already have the powertrain in the Tuscan.

1) Jeep could bring the Comanche concept they based on the Renegade to production.
2) A version of the promaster city is offered with a pickup bed in europe. Its called the Doblo Cargo WorkUp
- Fiat Doblò Work Up ׀ Commercial vehicle ׀ Fiat Professional
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

3) Honestly any manufacture with a small van/wagon, could chop the back of the van and make it into an open bed. Think a modern day Dodge A100.

Least likely.... Remember the Mahindra TR? Maybe if they got a chicken tax exception or built a factory in North America...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am not meaning to be argumentative, but on Ford's literature, the E-CVT had no forward gear ratio's listed, which has me thinking it's a variable transmission.
That probably because it is infinitely variable. Not fixed gear ratios.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fiat has also been one of the companies that started this unibody segment . And it has a good sub compact truck price point to compete with the Maverick . Plus it has a more useful bed at 6 foot and it does come with a manual transmission which a lot of guys like . Fiat just needs to put this truck on its dealers lots and it will sell it self !
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Grille
Car Vehicle Speedometer White Motor vehicle

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts

Yeah you are really misinformed as the Maverick doesn’t even have a transmission at all
need to read up on Toyota’s Prius planetary gear set.

Ford cloned then paid royalties to Toyota for this planetary setup.
It really isn’t a transmission at all and is less complex than a simple differential, only thing on the 2 planetaries are a pair of electric motors and a one way clutch, no bands, belts or chains needed, very little to fail.

In so far as “small trucks” the Maverick is mid size, truly small trucks left the market over twenty years ago.

In foreign markets there are compact trucks like Chevy Montana’s, Dodge 700’s , Mahindra and Isuzu trucklets, even VW has something.

Maverick will have zero effect on the compact market since it’s midsize, it may affect CUV sales.
Never going to see compact trucks here unless they are legislated into existence or the gray market laws are reversed and made illegal (too bad they don’t )

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would love to see Mopar hire Mark Smith of Smithe Kit Cars to help with the engineering for a mass production Charger Ute.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts