Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The threads that are talking about the Maverick as a tuner truck have got me excited. Since it hasn't been mentioned yet I'll start this thread.

If you were going to build a sport truck version of the Maverick, which tires would you use? Michelin? Pirelli? Continental?

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST
18 Posts
Later on down the line when I do pull the trigger on one, year or so from now, I'll just put some wide all seasons on. Or even my trusty firehawk indy 500s lol Even though I'm in the sticks I never have to drive off road.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was thinking something similar to what the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner had.

Bolt pattern is 5x4.5", 5x114.3mm
Offset is +30mm.
18 x 8 wrapped with Bridgestone Potenza RE050 255/45/ZR18
Center Bore is 60mm
Wheel weight is 31lbs - 32lbs
Tire weight is 27lbs - 28lbs

·
Registered
2.5L-swapped '09 Ford Focus
29 Posts
I’d probably go with the 21x9” Edge ST wheels, they look great and bolt right up. The rubber that comes on those is 265/40/21, I would go with a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tire on those. You won’t be able to unglue it from the road with those tires if you’ve sorted the suspension properly.

For track or autocross use I would probably go with 17x9” lightweight wheels, with a dedicated track tire such as the Falken Azenis RT660, or the Yoko Advan A052. However I’d be wary of putting too sticky a tire on such a tall vehicle, would rather have it slide out than tip over.

For daily driving, if you can run summer tires I would, but if you need all-seasons I would go for either the GoodYear Eagle Exhilerate, or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. Based on my research via Tire Rack’s testing of the 2021 batch of tires on the market, those two are at the top of the pack, and are neck-and-neck in terms of performance. It seems like the GoodYear tire sacrifices a bit of steering feel and responsiveness for road comfort, but does very well in the wet. The Michelin tire is stiffer and will provide the harsher ride, but they handle the wet just about as well, and actually blow the GoodYears away in the snow. From experience, the Michelin are the sportiest all-season tire you can find, period. Couldn’t recommend them more, they’re just amazing. A tad loud, yea, but I’ve been on both sides of that coin, and I would take the extra road noise any day. You just can’t match the crispness of the Michelins.

Another thing to note, since you mentioned Continental. The last all season tires I bought for my Focus were Continental DWS06 in 215/45/17. While they are just as expensive as the Michelin and GoodYear offerings, they have a very soft sidewall. This provides a very supple ride, which can be great on a stock vehicle. In my stiffened-up hot coupe, though, this led to some very sketchy handling characteristics. While the grip was great, especially in the wet, the turn-in and steering feel was non-existent at best, and was a major confidence-killer. Switched to some 16x8” wheels with 205/50/16 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 rubber on them, never looking back. When these are done (they came with the wheels), I will throw some 225/50/16 Michelin Pilot Sport AS4’s on. Sorry to be off-topic a little, I just enjoy tire talk!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tire selection will totally depend on what, if any, aftermarket wheels you choose and we don't know yet (but can probably assume) the tires will have to be XL rated which narrows choices down a bit.

I'd caution against going too wide though because: 1) Just get AWD and you won't have to worry about launch traction 2) If too wide you may have to put so much offset it sticks out the fenders which IMO looks cheap and ruins aerodynamics 3) Overly wide tires can just end up being heavier robbing horsepower and increasing unsprung weight making the suspension less responsive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tire selection will totally depend on what, if any, aftermarket wheels you choose and we don't know yet (but can probably assume) the tires will have to be XL rated which narrows choices down a bit.

I'd caution against going too wide though because: 1) Just get AWD and you won't have to worry about launch traction 2) If too wide you may have to put so much offset it sticks out the fenders which IMO looks cheap and ruins aerodynamics 3) Overly wide tires can just end up being heavier robbing horsepower and increasing unsprung weight making the suspension less responsive.
That’s why I went with just a 1” wider tire and wheels. Same diameter. Should fill up the wheel well nicely with no over hang. And SHOULDNT rub. But I’ll have to check out my buddies bronco sport at full lock to get a better idea.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST
18 Posts
I didn't know what the stock lug pattern was, this is relieving 5x114.3 instead of ours. I'd probably scout around for the explorer st rims as well.

·
Registered
2.5L-swapped '09 Ford Focus
29 Posts
I didn't know what the stock lug pattern was, this is relieving 5x114.3 instead of ours. I'd probably scout around for the explorer st rims as well.
The bolt pattern will almost certainly be 5x108, which Ford uses on the Bronco Sport and the Escape (the other vehicles based on the C2 platform shared with the Maverick). Some of you may be misinformed, since Googling "ford maverick bolt pattern" comes up with 5x114.3, the bolt pattern used on the 1970's Ford Maverick sports car. Just in case anyone was getting ready to purchase 5x114.3 wheels! Go 5x108, or better yet, wait until the data is officially released before you buy! Couldn't find it in the tech spec sheet or anywhere online, but it is already known that all other C2-based vehicles are 5x108.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The bolt pattern will almost certainly be 5x108, which Ford uses on the Bronco Sport and the Escape (the other vehicles based on the C2 platform shared with the Maverick). Some of you may be misinformed, since Googling "ford maverick bolt pattern" comes up with 5x114.3, the bolt pattern used on the 1970's Ford Maverick sports car. Just in case anyone was getting ready to purchase 5x114.3 wheels! Go 5x108, or better yet, wait until the data is officially released before you buy! Couldn't find it in the tech spec sheet or anywhere online, but it is already known that all other C2-based vehicles are 5x108.
MY BAD. yes I will edit.
5x108 (114.3 was the old platform!)
Good lots of options for that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts