Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am retiring to Florida and had planned my move to happen in Jan, 2022 from PA to FL. I have a Rivian on order and have been promised delivery now for over 3 years. I have a small (5x8) trailer that I needed to tow to FL.
When I realized that my Rivian will not be delivered in time, I quickly started looking at the Maverick. Placed my order in Nov 2021. Dealer said they would let me know. They never told me of any delays.
Now middle of Dec and I find out that the Maverick was also being delayed and I still needed a tow vehicle soon! So I started looking at used pick ups. Unbelievable what they were asking for beaters! I would move to Fl and when my Maverick or Rivian arrived, I would sell whatever I bought.
After unsuccessfully looking for a used truck, I started looking at SUV's.
Found a 2012 BMW X5 5.0M with 92,000 miles for $11,000. Quite a bargain I thought. The car was in great shape, but a gas hog. The owners were only too happy to get rid of it.
Trip went well and a couple of days after arriving in FL the engine started making funny noises! Took it to a local dealer and got a loaner.
As the days went by, the service person called me saying they found this and that and I was looking at $12,000 plus tax. A day later they found something else and finally I agreed to $15,000 all in! Holy bejesus!
After more than 2 weeks, they finally finished the work and took it for a test drive. Suddenly, they tell me, the car started to smoke really bad. They also told me that BMW had a recall for that issue, I believe it was the valve guides. The recall was to end in less than two weeks, so I just made it!
This is the BMW 4.4 L twin turbo V8 with the turbos in the V of the V8 instead of on the exhaust side. BMW was the first to do this and the early cars had several engine issues, including excessive oil consumption.
To cut a long story short, BMW decided to replace my engine for free! They flew in a crate motor from Germany and installed it completely.
I now have a very nice BMW X5 M and a 100,000 mile warranty on the new motor! The car runs flawlessly.
So I have been told my Rivian will be here in April/May. Do I sell the BMW? Or keep is as a spare car in Florida?
What would you do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
First, I would have probably just rented a pickup truck for the towing/moving from PA to FL instead of purchasing a vehicle specifically for that one task. But that's too late now, since you already did purchase the BMW X5 just for that and luckily, you had the engine replaced under the recall/warranty.

Since your Rivian is coming up soon, I would say sell the BMW (unless you need a spare...) while the used car market is still hot. Sell it locally, Carvana, Shift, Carmax, etc.; whoever gives you the highest offer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Found a 2012 BMW X5 5.0M with 92,000 miles for $11,000. Quite a bargain I thought. The car was in great shape, but a gas hog. The owners were only too happy to get rid of it.
Trip went well and a couple of days after arriving in FL the engine started making funny noises! Took it to a local dealer and got a loaner.
As the days went by, the service person called me saying they found this and that and I was looking at $12,000 plus tax. A day later they found something else and finally I agreed to $15,000 all in!
So it seems like you're into it for at least $26k between purchase price and repairs... and even though you have a NEW engine with a warranty, it's still a 10 year old BMW which will likely need additional maintenance as plastic and rubber parts begin to degrade and fail... probably best to cut your loses and get out of it.

Hope you can get close to what you have into it with how hot the used car market is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, I would have probably just rented a pickup truck for the towing/moving from PA to FL instead of purchasing a vehicle specifically for that one task. But that's too late now, since you already did purchase the BMW X5 just for that and luckily, you had the engine replaced under the recall/warranty.

Since your Rivian is coming up soon, I would say sell the BMW (unless you need a spare...) while the used car market is still hot. Sell it locally, Carvana, Shift, Carmax, etc.; whoever gives you the highest offer.
I couldn't rent, as I still don't have either vehicle I am waiting for. If I rented, it would now be more than three months! I need a vehicle while I'm waiting, and I am still driving the BMW.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I realized that my Rivian will not be delivered in time, I quickly started looking at the Maverick. Placed my order in Nov 2021. Dealer said they would let me know. They never told me of any delays.
Now middle of Dec and I find out that the Maverick was also being delayed and I still needed a tow vehicle soon! So I started looking at used pick ups. Unbelievable what they were asking for beaters! I would move to Fl and when my Maverick or Rivian arrived, I would sell whatever I bought.
Do you still have a Maverick on order or did you walk away from it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sell that BMW as fast as you can and don't look back.

German cars are great for people who can buy them new, but keeping an old one is for those who have the time and knowledge to deal with broken things constantly.
Yeah my feeling exactly, even if I lose a bit. Right now I'm still using it until my Rivian finally shows up, and to be honest, it drives fabulously. It's fast!

·
Registered
Area 51 XLT hybrid ordered 11/9/21
488 Posts
I am retiring to Florida and had planned my move to happen in Jan, 2022 from PA to FL. I have a Rivian on order and have been promised delivery now for over 3 years. I have a small (5x8) trailer that I needed to tow to FL.
After unsuccessfully looking for a used truck, I started looking at SUV's.
As the days went by, the service person called me saying they found this and that and I was looking at $12,000 plus tax. A day later they found something else and finally I agreed to $15,000 all in! Holy bejesus!
After more than 2 weeks, they finally finished the work and took it for a test drive. Suddenly, they tell me, the car started to smoke really bad. They also told me that BMW had a recall for that issue, I believe it was the valve guides. The recall was to end in less than two weeks, so I just made it!
This is the BMW 4.4 L twin turbo V8 with the turbos in the V of the V8 instead of on the exhaust side. BMW was the first to do this and the early cars had several engine issues, including excessive oil consumption.
To cut a long story short, BMW decided to replace my engine for free! They flew in a crate motor from Germany and installed it completely.
I now have a very nice BMW X5 M and a 100,000 mile warranty on the new motor! The car runs flawlessly.
So I have been told my Rivian will be here in April/May. Do I sell the BMW? Or keep is as a spare car in Florida?
What would you do?
The best thing you can do is NOT COUNT YOUR CHICKENS UNTIL THEY HATCH!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah my feeling exactly, even if I lose a bit. Right now I'm still using it until my Rivian finally shows up, and to be honest, it drives fabulously. It's fast!
What would you do?
You are doing it just right, IMO. Overcoming obstacles (getting a car while you wait), celebrating win (new engine from Germany, installed!), hedging your bets (Rivian Order, Maverick Order) and retiring from the J.O.B! Congratulations! As for the 3 cars you may end up with (sometime, any day, some day?) the market is HOT, HOT, HOT. Since no J.O.B., you can leisurely sell one or all three, and they move FAST and get more $$$ than you paid....almost always, in today's new landscape.
I think you are in great shape....the best part being your ability to overcome, stay above it, and get your self to your retirement goals. Congrats!!!!! (Retired to AZ, also loving life!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts