Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder what the fuel efficiency impact will be if I added the 4K tow package to the AWD system. I assume the increased towing capacity of the 4K tow package is being achieved by using a shorter final drive ratio. If that's the case, there will be an efficiency hit at higher speeds, won't there? Although at fist glance it sounds appealing to double the towing capacity for under $800, but the appeal of the Maverick to me is partly its fuel efficiency. If the AWD's fuel efficiency is affected by the 4K tow package, then I might as well stick with a 4WD Ranger if I really want the larger towing capacity.

·
Registered
2.5L-swapped '09 Ford Focus
29 Posts
Too soon to tell, Ford hasn’t released fuel economy figures because the EPA hasn’t rated it yet. Hopefully soon we will know exactly what to expect from each configuration, and maybe Ford will say what the actual final drive ratio is on both the regular and 4K-equipped models.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder what the fuel efficiency impact will be if I added the 4K tow package to the AWD system. I assume the increased towing capacity of the 4K tow package is being achieved by using a shorter final drive ratio. If that's the case, there will be an efficiency hit at higher speeds, won't there? Although at fist glance it sounds appealing to double the towing capacity for under $800, but the appeal of the Maverick to me is partly its fuel efficiency. If the AWD's fuel efficiency is affected by the 4K tow package, then I might as well stick with a 4WD Ranger if I really want the larger towing capacity.
the 4K towing package changes the final drive ratio. So you likely won’t see a change in city mpg. But high way driving you will probably loose out on 2 mpg vs FWD

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome @salwans

Would you get a used or new Ranger?
Used could make the Ranger an even better choice here.

·
Registered
2017 Escape, 2017 Ram 1500
121 Posts
My wife and I had nearly identical Jeep Cherokees. Both were AWD with the 2.4L engines, but mine had the towing package with a slight difference in the final drive ratio. I can't say that there was really any difference in fuel mileage between them, probably because like with the Maverick, it wasn't a huge variance in ratio. And in reality, I often recorded over the EPA estimated highway mileage with mine, and that was both with oversized all terrain tires and driving in hilly areas of the state above the posted speed limit.
I wouldn't say that I'd be discouraged from buying it if it is something that later you might regret not adding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maverick Tech Specs
According to the tech sheet, the final gear ratio goes from 3.63 to 3.81 with the tow package. If you look at the specs of a Ford Fusion Titanium (same engine, similar weight) this should give an idea of the mpg (around 30 highway for FWD), because even though the Fusion has a final gear ratio of 3.21 it also has a transmission ratio of 0.75 in top gear while the Maverick has a transmission ratio of 0.62 in top gear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Too soon to tell, Ford hasn’t released fuel economy figures because the EPA hasn’t rated it yet. Hopefully soon we will know exactly what to expect from each configuration, and maybe Ford will say what the actual final drive ratio is on both the regular and 4K-equipped models.
final drive 3.63 with 4 k tow 3.81 with the 2.0 engine 8 speed automatic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts