Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
Area 51 XLT hybrid ordered 11/9/21
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT JUST A LITTLE! The other day it was nice and warm, and my engine/coolant was dead cold (had sat for over 5 hours), when I went on trip to a country store down the road and got 76 MPG. Today I went on an equal mileage and speed trip to Family Dollar, but the difference was that it had been down to 40 at night, and it was 46 degrees when I left. I got only 35 MPG.

For those that don't believe my reported and future MPG numbers, it is almost always warm to hot here on the Treasure Coast of FL (yet another reason to live here). Plus, when I accelerate, including to highway speeds (conditions permitting) it at a steady 20% power on gauge. When I brake, I coast first, then lightly need to brake, for almost always 100% energy returned. :D

· Registered
57 Posts
Are you reading those numbers from the dash? Real MPG is by doing the math at fill up of a tank of gas. Even my Mav FX4 lies about the mileage. I get my Hybrid Mav in a few weeks and can't wait to compare the two side by side.

· Registered
Ordered a white XLT 2.0 FWD with mats and hitch receiver, that's it!
308 Posts
Yep. AND, only at the same pump at the same station due to pump pressure and shut off settings, if I want it to be as accurate as possible. The readings on the dash are real time, not overall. Notice it changes as you go from city to highway. But, you know what? When I had my 55 chevy with a balance and blueprinted 525 hp 327 in the late 1960's, I knew I was getting 5 to 7 mpg 'cuz eating GTO's and Malibu's and mustangs and chargers for breakfast was fun, and I didn't care!!! But then, there was this 440 six pack .... wound her too high ... and ...

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. AND, only at the same pump at the same station due to pump pressure and shut off settings, if I want it to be as accurate as possible.
The absolute most accurate way is to fill to the VERY top of the filler neck. Zero chance for variability. You can go to any and every pump that way.

But it does not matter if my dashboard reading reads 5% high or not. It does not affect the fact that trip A had 109% better MPG than trip B!

· Registered
180 Posts
I don't have a hybrid. But my xl shows two different mpgs. The dash and the settings. So like they said egnor the read out go old school and do the mileage your self. My xl has slowly got less from 30 down to 25 ish? But I have a short drive to work 15 minutes

· Registered
Ordered a white XLT 2.0 FWD with mats and hitch receiver, that's it!
308 Posts
The absolute most accurate way is to fill to the VERY top of the filler neck. Zero chance for variability. You can go to any and every pump that way.

But it does not matter if my dashboard reading reads 5% high or not. It does not affect the fact that trip A had 109% better MPG than trip B!
It boils down to ... I don't care! I love my 250 hp 2.0 that rips a good launch at a stop light and all I gotta do is tank her up now and then. But, please, don't take this as not caring about taking care of this planet and its resources provided by it's creator and sustainer ... God. My walks include picking up trash either inadvertently or purposely dumped, and I do all I can to combine trips to lessen fuel consumption.

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a hybrid. But my xl shows two different mpgs. The dash and the settings. So like they said egnor the read out go old school and do the mileage your self. My xl has slowly got less from 30 down to 25 ish? But I have a short drive to work 15 minutes
As weather gets colder, the MPG is dropping. The number you see on the dashboard constantly is long term since you last rest it. I always reset when I fill up tank. When you slowly turn key off one click, it will display fuel and electric numbers for that particular trip.

· Premium Member
319 Posts
Aufgebleausen strikes again.

Let me just say... I told you so. I told you so. I told you so.

How many times do you need to hear that the hybrid maverick is rated for 37 mixed mpg, 33 hwy, 42 city?

Getting 35 MPG isn't a bizarre cold weather anomaly - it's literally what your vehicle is rated to achieve.

FYI - it's not that I don't "believe" your MPG numbers... I do...

The issue i take is you keep taking sample sizes far too small to have any statistical significance and then running to the presses like the MPG is mind blowing (good or bad).

Plus... you do realize that if you averaged the MPG on both trips you're sitting at 55mpg on average, right?

I always reset when I fill up tank.
Have you even ever filled up the tank? Last I heard you had driven a whopping 200 miles.

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you even ever filled up the tank? Last I heard you had driven a whopping 200 miles.
Actually, the dealer filled it fully, and my FordPass says I now have 352 miles with 262 miles until empty. So that is a range of 614 miles. With a 13.8 gallon tank, that works out to 44.5 MPG. But..... the 1st 8 miles from the dealership were at only 18 MPG, so my next tankful will surely be greater range, being broken in some more, plus tonneau cover installed for greater MPG.

· Registered
160 Posts
NOT JUST A LITTLE! The other day it was nice and warm, and my engine/coolant was dead cold (had sat for over 5 hours), when I went on trip to a country store down the road and got 76 MPG. Today I went on an equal mileage and speed trip to Family Dollar, but the difference was that it had been down to 40 at night, and it was 46 degrees when I left. I got only 35 MPG.

For those that don't believe my reported and future MPG numbers, it is almost always warm to hot here on the Treasure Coast of FL (yet another reason to live here). Plus, when I accelerate, including to highway speeds (conditions permitting) it at a steady 20% power on gauge. When I brake, I coast first, then lightly need to brake, for almost always 100% energy returned. :D
I’m a hybrid Mav owner and live in Austin, TX with 2 seasons (long hot summers May-Oct) & temperate fall-winter-spring (Nov - April). But went through a cold snap 2 weeks ago (early am temps in the teens, daytime highs upper 30’s) driven for 9 months now and the cold snap didn’t affect my mpg….average low 40s mpg …including suburban driving and long trip driving at 70 mph. You may be noticing a slight incline-hill drawing down a short drive with very low mpg.

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m a hybrid Mav owner and live in Austin, TX with 2 seasons (long hot summers May-Oct) & temperate fall-winter-spring (Nov - April). But went through a cold snap 2 weeks ago (early am temps in the teens, daytime highs upper 30’s) driven for 9 months now and the cold snap didn’t affect my mpg….average low 40s mpg …including suburban driving and long trip driving at 70 mph. You may be noticing a slight incline-hill drawing down a short drive with very low mpg.
But my point is, if you take a lot of short trips in cold weather in a hybrid, your MPG will be way down as compared to warm-hot weather.

· Registered
17 Posts

My Mav also has gotten less mpg's out here in northern Utah--last fill up got 37.6

· Registered
57 Posts
Here is fact information for your cold weather fuel debate. It is the same today driving in cold weather that it was back in 1900's. Gas "ICE" engines burn rich when cold using more gas until warm whether they are carburetor or fuel injection computer controlled. Elevation to sea level also makes a difference. Driving into a head wind versas down wind will change the MPG. The blend of gasoline from summer to winter makes a difference. MPG will always be variable on environment conditions.

"Cold weather and winter driving conditions can significantly reduce fuel economy. Fuel economy tests show that, in city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is roughly 15% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 24% for short (3- to 4-mile) trips.
Cold weather effects can vary by vehicle model. However, expect conventional gasoline vehicles to suffer a 10% to 20% fuel economy loss in city driving and a 15% to 33% loss on short trips.
The effect on hybrids is typically greater - with fuel economy dropping about 30% to 34% under these conditions. For hybrids, fuel economy typically decreases by 20% to 40% in city driving and 25% to 45% on short trips."

Reference Material from Energy.gov Fuel Economy in Cold Weather

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is roughly 15% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 24% for short (3- to 4-mile) trips.
Mine was OVER a 50% drop for the same 4.5 mile trip at 46 degrees vs. 76 degrees. Shortness of trip was not the issue; at 76 degrees, I got 76 MPG. A combination of short AND cold is the issue.

· Registered
72 Posts
Last night we went Beach Side on I-4 and avg 41 on the way over and 40.9 on the way back except for one Oh S!!t backtrack and accelerated to pass traffic, l haven't gotten the 37 mpg overall yet unless we are towing the it's 26+.

· Registered
17 Posts

I haven’t noticed any difference. Guess I am lucky.

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It probably keeps the engine running longer so you have heat for the heater?
Indubitably! But when I took the short trip at 46 degrees that got only 35 MPG compared to the nearly identical 76 degree trip that got 78 MPG, I did not turn the heat on at all on the cold trip.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts