Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
Ordered a white XLT 2.0 FWD with mats and hitch receiver, that's it!
308 Posts
IRT a normal car battery, Batteries Plus says "When the temperature drops, the cold slows down the chemical reactions taking place inside your battery. This, in turn, reduces the amount of electrical current the battery can produce." Could the fluctuations in mileage between cold vs warm weather mean in cold weather the Hybrid battery has a tougher time keeping its power in comparison to in warm weather and therefore more gas power is needed?

· Registered
Area 51 XLT hybrid ordered 11/9/21
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
IRT a normal car battery, Batteries Plus says "When the temperature drops, the cold slows down the chemical reactions taking place inside your battery. This, in turn, reduces the amount of electrical current the battery can produce." Could the fluctuations in mileage between cold vs warm weather mean in cold weather the Hybrid battery has a tougher time keeping its power in comparison to in warm weather and therefore more gas power is needed?
Certainly.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have wondered if those of us living in cold weather ……will the battery (which are every expensive) last a shorter time than those in the southern states???

· Registered
308 Posts
I have wondered if those of us living in cold weather ……will the battery (which are every expensive) last a shorter time than those in the southern states???
In an all honesty the lack of infrastructure in this very mobile country to quickly charge a battery and be on your way and charging being not allowed to not cause blackouts, and the cost of a new battery if needed which is far higher than replacing a petrol powered engine rhat today is far more environmental friendly than earlier, is why I got an EcoBoost. Work toward electric? Fine. But not at the expense of others.

· Registered
Area 51 XLT hybrid ordered 11/9/21
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My son lives in Portland, OR where it is COLD most of the year, and his Tesla is about 6 years old, and when he first got it, it said the range was 340 miles when it was fully charged. Nowadays it says 422 miles, so only slight diminishment.

· Registered
308 Posts
My son lives in Portland, OR where it is COLD most of the year, and his Tesla is about 6 years old, and when he first got it, it said the range was 340 miles when it was fully charged. Nowadays it says 422 miles, so only slight diminishment.
If 340 new but 422 now, that is not a diminishment.
BTW, I grew up south of Portland in Coos Bay, Oregon. It is colder year round than Portland due to being on the coastal side, west side, of the Coastal Mountain Range. Actually Portland in the summer can get decently warm since it is east of those mountains on the north end of the Willamette Valley in Oregon that is in between the Coastal and the much taller Cascade ranges of mountains and the Coastal Range blocks at least some of the coastal cold from getting to Portland. Of course, that means they get colder in the winter because the warm Japanese Current along the coast helps keep the coast from getting as cold and stay mostly snowless over against the Valley. Must add, I am very saddened by what the political leadership of Portland has let happen to a once very beautiful and vibrant city.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts